Dirty Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schortie

Nov 6, 2008
michigan
I know that there are a multitude of posts about dirty glass and how to clean it. I am well versed in how to clean the glass on my stove, but I am concerned about the fact that it is becoming dirty. The glass seems to stay relatively clean when the secondary is not engaged. Yet when I close it down and get it rolling, the glass stains quite rapidly. I am confident that the everburn is kicking in (pleasant rumble, no emissions from the chimney) but the glass will not stay clean. It seems to happen more when the box is full and wood is closer to the glass. I should say that I'm quite confident that we are burning seasoned wood - mostly ash that was standing dead for a few years, split and stacked last February. It has been kept in a corn crib since.

Any thoughts?

If I have a piece of wood too close to the glass, it will leave a slight smudge. Otherwise, my pacific energy keeps the glass clean. It has to run hot to do so though. The heat is circulated over the glass door burning off any residue.

Hey schortie, there are uses for the old corn cribs, eh?

If I damper my stove down to low for overnight burn, my glass gets dirty. If the fire is not hot enough and you damper to fast, glass gets dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.