Disappointed in PDV heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jss227

Burning Hunk
Dec 15, 2014
Hancock Maine
I have been heating 900 sq ft with a PDVC set on C for 2 years. On setting 8/9, I would burn a bag every 10 1/2 hours, cutting back to 3/9 every 8 hrs for 15 mins. to burn down the coal bed. This would keep my downstairs at 70* at 0* outside temp. Below that I have to run electric baseboard. Last Thursday I installed a new PDV from AM/FM energy. I did a board reset, (ignitor not working, feed and blower not synched), and set to C mode,(was in A). Fiday night set to 8/9 as the temps were dropping. Saturday morning with outside temp at 6* the house temp was only 67. I checked to make sure stove was still in C mode and started to measure burn time. This stove on 8/9 burns a bag every 12 hours. That's less than it's little brother. Same pellets, same exhaust, same location, but burns less fuel.

I did notice that when I did the mode change to C, that I only used one button, (same as PDVC), not two buttons as called for on the PDV. Wrong board maybe?

Any idea's folks ?

seems to be burning a little much is it not? My big e keeping my 1000sqf mobile home keeps it at about 23 and i burn a bag about every 30-40 hours. Even when the temps drop to -20 i go through a bag about every 24 hours

All double auger englander stoves use the same board you cant compare a big e to a pdv completely diff stoves dif homes to many variables.

Does the Pdv have the hopper/auger gate? Open that puppy up and see how it works.

8-9 should cook you out of a 900 sft dwelling. Unless its real drafty. Burning less means less btu’s. What are your bottom 3 settings at should be 6-4-1

8-9 should cook you out of a 900 sft dwelling. Unless its real drafty. Burning less means less btu’s. What are your bottom 3 settings at should be 6-4-1
Settings are 6-4-1, R-30 walls, R-30 ceiling, (1st floor), R-30 walls second floor and R-60 roof. All new Argon windows. Basement finished but not heated. At temps below 20* plastic sheet closes off the upstairs. Stove is on the South side of house centered in a finished 8x24 porch. Two 42" doorways lead from the porch, one into the living room, one into the kitchen/dining, with a 5' doorway on the North end between living and dining rooms. Small fan on the floor of living room door blowing towards stove. Main floor airflow looks like this CI with the stove centered in the I and air flowing around the C.

BUT, the problem is the PDV using less pellets than the PDVC.

I know it makes no sense to me either. I would give ESW a call first thing in the morning. They may be able to shed some light.

You could try bumping the bottom 3 up to 8-5-1

I would try a factory reset again. Unplug the stove for a couple of minutes, to clear the memory. Then try burning in D mode. You can compare the pellet usage between C and D. There should be a noticeable increase in pellet useage and heat in C. If there is no difference, it sounds like something's wrong with the programming. I would contact tech support. I have the PDV. That stove puts out heat like a furnace in my basement.

Last edited:
I would try a factory reset again after turning off the stove and unplugging for a couple of minutes, to clear the memory. I would then try burning in D mode. You could see if there is a difference, between the two modes when you switch to C. It sounds like something's wrong with the programming. I have the PDV. That stove puts out heat like a furnace in my basement.
Will try that tomorrow. I've been running on 9/9 today to see what the burn time is. It's going to be about 10 1/2 hours for a bag, which is about 30k btu per hour input, which seems low.

Reactions: Hot Foot
20180115_213643.jpg
Sounds like a plan. :) I think that the PDV can put out up to 45k btu per hour at max burn. What is the stove temp at the stove door? I'm at 500::Fburning at 7/9 in an unfinished basement. The temp outside here in RI is 19::F. I use a magnetic stove thermometer.

Last edited:
View attachment 220864 Sounds like a plan. :) I think that the PDV can put out up to 45k btu per hour at max burn. What is the stove temp at the stove door? I'm at 500::Fburning at 7/9 in an unfinished basement. The temp outside here in RI is 19::F. I use a magnetic stove thermometer.
It's 15* here now. IR gun is in the garage but I can hold my hand 1" in front of the heat vents above the door for as long as I want and not get burned. That's at 9/9 for 10 1/2 hours. Can't do that with my PDVC at 7/9.

Is the impingement plate correctly set?

View attachment 220864 Sounds like a plan. :) I think that the PDV can put out up to 45k btu per hour at max burn. What is the stove temp at the stove door? I'm at 500::Fburning at 7/9 in an unfinished basement. The temp outside here in RI is 19::F. I use a magnetic stove thermometer.

I picked up a couple stove thermometers this morning. After running on 7/9 for 8 hrs and with the thermo mounted to the top of the door, an AMAZING 275 DEGREES. Stove is shut down and going to recheck modes, maybe try D.

Tried D mode. 7/9, 2-3" flames, tepid air and stove temp 110*. Going back to C and a call to ESW in the morning.

Any update?

UPDATE--- ESW tech said to turn LFF to 8 and change burn pot gasket. I thought on this stove all LFF effected was settings 1&2. And how is a new burn pot gasket on a new stove going to feed it more pellets? On max burn 9/9 I burn a bag every 11 hours, that's only about 30k btu an hour input, on a 45k btu stove.

UPDATE--- ESW tech said to turn LFF to 8 and change burn pot gasket. I thought on this stove all LFF effected was settings 1&2. And how is a new burn pot gasket on a new stove going to feed it more pellets? On max burn 9/9 I burn a bag every 11 hours, that's only about 30k btu an hour input, on a 45k btu stove.
i would call them back and ask to talk to Mike Holten HMFC of tech and testing