Discolored spot on pipe. Need to worry or normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nsparrow260

Jan 21, 2024
Middlebury, In
My daughter pointed this out to me, not sure if it is something I should worry about or not.
IMG_20240121_063550107.jpg

If that is single wall pipe it is not that expensive to replace and well worth the piece of mind. If doubled wall best inspect the inside pipe and joints very very carefully for anomalies.

It could just be something oily or waxy that got on the pipe by accident. It looks like there is a drip area below it. Furniture polish?

It could just be something oily or waxy that got on the pipe by accident. It looks like there is a drip area below it. Furniture polish?
It looks oily to me too, not sure what it is. But I do I have 3 kids so who knows, they could've gotten something on it at some point also. I might try see what I can use to clean it off

That’s pretty oxidized for the outer wall of double wall. Oxidized black paint will easily pick up oils and be dark like that. Even fingerprints can make a mark.

That’s pretty oxidized for the outer wall of double wall. Oxidized black paint will easily pick up oils and be dark like that. Even fingerprints can make a mark.
I tried cleaning that spot with the soap and water to see if it would come off and the area where I cleaned it is now discolored and I tried wiping it down it in a few different spots and they have all some form of discoloration now, not as dark as that one spot, but you can see where I scrubbed it. I'm trying to think and remember if I got something on there at some point

by chance ,maybe an overfire,looks pretty used up.have same double wall pipe for 10 yyrs still looks new
We've been in this house almost 7 years now, wood stove was already installed not sure when, had it inspected when we moved in, at that time all checked out good. I get up and clean it out every year and it doesn't get a ton of use it's not our primary get source(used as backup to help out the mini split system) and usually looks very clean inside when I check it. I'll plan to have it inspected.