Discovered hidden outside air intake in masonry FP - ideas to attach to insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Feb 26, 2018
Coon Rapids, MN
While cleaning and inspecting our Fusion 24 insert, I found an outside air intake hidden behind the surround. Makes sense as there is also a small opening on the chimney exterior 12" above grade. Feels like I just struck gold lol. ("you know you have a problem when.....")

This insert doesn't have an air intake kit available, so I was thinking of punching some small holes through the surround and possibly making a lever of some sort to actuate the flap open/closed when burning, but that all sounds kind of janky.

Any kits to connect something like this to an insert with true outside air intake? That 26% tax credit has been awfully tempting to upgrade to a heavier-duty insert with firebrick and the like. If we could hook up the intake to this discovered contraption, that would make the deal even sweeter.

Edit: second picture is me trying to measure the opening, it's 8.75" wide.

IMG_3529.jpg IMG_3526.jpg IMG_3524.jpg

How tight is the house? My gut says there are chances of negative impacts if you are able to direct connect. I wouldn’t spend more than two hours on it. That could be two hours spent air sealing the house.

What negative impacts might a dedicated air intake have?

House is 2700sqft and built in the late 80's, sealed all attic penetrations, replaced all windows, no air leaks around doors. Still, it's a late 80's house. We can feel the cold draft blowing across the floor from the furnace room fresh air intake and around edges of some of the double hung windows, making the rest of the house feel even more noticeably chilly than the fireplace room, so pulling outside air from the firebox would eliminate the drafts.

Edit: Also how's your Drolet 1800i? They look like a fantastic value.

What negative impacts might a dedicated air intake have?

House is 2700sqft and built in the late 80's, sealed all attic penetrations, replaced all windows, no air leaks around doors. Still, it's a late 80's house. We can feel the cold draft blowing across the floor from the furnace room fresh air intake and around edges of some of the double hung windows, making the rest of the house feel even more noticeably chilly than the fireplace room, so pulling outside air from the firebox would eliminate the drafts.

Edit: Also how's your Drolet 1800i? They look like a fantastic value.
Tight house might be worth the effort. Was it an ash dump? Direct access to the outside?

It’s only worth it if it’s directly connected.

The 1800i was a second stove in the basement. Didn’t use it a lot last winter 20 loads. Maybe. I think is a well made stove. I have 24’ of insulated liner and it’s probably over drafting with a damper in the appliance adapter. It was a DIY install. I shopped for two years before buying. It was and I still think the cheapest best performer on the market. Its no frills. Blower is quite. Not able to direct connect outside air. Wish I had something prettier but my stoves will never pay for themselves even with free wood down here in the south.

Reactions: WoodfireNewbie