DIY Chimney replacement advice needed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KNKN

Oct 11, 2011
Ohio
Hi. We have heated our house with this stove for many years. Last year I found rust holes forming where the pipe goes into the ceiling. I purchased enough standard 8" imperial stove pipe at the local hardware store to replace the inside pipe. When I removed it I found the rot goes higher up in the ceiling box so I am going to need to replace the whole chimney. Its all suspect now.

I am a DIY kind of guy but I thought I would let the pro's do this job but after my first quote of $4000! to do this replacement I am thinking I am going to take the job on my self.

I still have a few more contractors to check with but I am looking for recommendations here on what I would need to do this job my self?

Obviously I have some old style of chimney that is no longer available. It has functioned great with good draft so I would like to stick with a something that is similar. It is 8" out of the stove and the pipe going through the ceiling and attic I have not measured but its double walled and at least 10" possibly 12".

Any recommendations on what I should purchase to do this job myself?

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 183
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 170
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 182
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 176
  • Capture5.JPG
    Capture5.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 145
$4K is high. Get a couple certified sweeps to give you a replacement bid. www.csia.org When replacing, go for a good double-wall, stainless chimney pipe. For price comparison try www.woodstovepro. com

Be prepared when the sweeps tell you that the stove installation is incorrect. Single-wall stove pipe needs to be at least 18" from any combustible. If the stove is unlisted it needs to be 36" away. The brick wall will help reduce that by 50% but the stove appears to be closer than 18".

Reactions: bholler
Thanks begreen. It might be at least 18" Ill have to measure. FYI all the wall "decorations" are removed during winter time lol. Anyways its functioned safely for 20 or more years and it been used hard. 5 or more cords of wood a year.

I have looked at the double wall stuff and there is a lot of choices and parts! So many that its hard to know where to start!

Northlineexpress has a really nice calculator that is helping me do some calculations and showing me what I might need.

I see a big price difference between Shasta Vent and Dura Vent. $1600 for Dura vent and $900 for Shasta Vent. The Shasta also seems less complicated. Not requiring and adapter for my standard 8" single wall pipe.

Is the Shasta Vent good stuff? I am not finding any reviews about it on this site.

DuraVent. Selkirk, Excel are well established manufacturers. I don't know about Shasta Vent, this is the first time I have heard about it. I'm not a fan of locking bands on chimney pipe but it could be fine.

The fact that something works for years doesn't make it safe or legal. Pyrolysis can take time. FWIW, if you are burning 5 cords or more wood a year you might want to consider a modern stove replacement. It will cut wood consumption down, have closer clearances and it will burn a lot cleaner.

Reactions: bholler
I agree with everything beegreen said. As a pro i could not replace that chimney without addressing the clear clearance issues. And the longer it runs like that the more danger there is due to pyrolysis.

$4K is high. Get a couple certified sweeps to give you a replacement bid. www.csia.org When replacing, go for a good double-wall, stainless chimney pipe. For price comparison try www.woodstovepro. com

Be prepared when the sweeps tell you that the stove installation is incorrect. Single-wall stove pipe needs to be at least 18" from any combustible. If the stove is unlisted it needs to be 36" away. The brick wall will help reduce that by 50% but the stove appears to be closer than 18".
Is it 50% reduction? I thought it was 1/3 but i could be remembering that incorrectly. And i dont feel like looking it up right now.

I agree with everything beegreen said. As a pro i could not replace that chimney without addressing the clear clearance issues. And the longer it runs like that the more danger there is due to pyrolysis.

Is it 50% reduction? I thought it was 1/3 but i could be remembering that incorrectly. And i dont feel like looking it up right now.

You are right 33% reduction or 24". That is what I get for being lazy and not looking it up.

You are right 33% reduction or 24". That is what I get for being lazy and not looking it up.
I was lazy to my memory was just better this time. Lol