Diy firewood storage using bricks and fence pairings treated with arson

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kezza

Apr 17, 2022
Australia
Hi, I'm hoping to get some clarification. I'm making a diy firewood storage using cinder/Besser blocks and wood . The only suitable size and price I've found at hardware is fence pailings, they are perfect however are treated with H3 arson ,the guy working there gave me this info and assures me it's fine to have my firewood against this as it will not leak into my firewood. However he then tells me to make sure I wear gloves while handling the fence pailing. I haven't bought them yet as I want to be certain. Would any one know this ..please and thankyou.

That is just pressure treated wood. That should be fine for a woodshed.

This guy is in Australia. Twenty years ago we had arsenic in PT wood here in America. Feds made them take all arsenic out of PT wood, about 15 years ago. I infer that they still use arsenic in PT wood in Australia.

I don't think you will have a problem putting firewood in a shed made of arsenic laden PT wood. However, DO NOT burn arsenic laden PT wood in your yard, in a place where you might want to make a vegetable garden. Arsenic from PT wood will remain in the ground for many years.

How cold does it get in Australia? What kind of wood do you burn, eucaliptis wood? I thought Australia was a desert.

Reactions: Kezza
google Australia rainforest. I couldn't distinguish it from Brazil.

Most preservatives used here are now copper based (hence the green hue).

Yes they replaced the arsenic with some copper compound.

Rain forest? Who needs a wood stove in the rain forest?

I was only saying it's not all desert there.

And it was not arsenic itself, but a copper chromium arsenic (and oxygen etc) compound they used previously.

Ah well, we agree. It'll be fine to dry wood on.

Treating any wood product -- fence, woodshed or firewood -- with arson does not usually end well for the wood.

Hi, I'm hoping to get some clarification. I'm making a diy firewood storage using cinder/Besser blocks and wood . The only suitable size and price I've found at hardware is fence pailings, they are perfect however are treated with H3 arson ,the guy working there gave me this info and assures me it's fine to have my firewood against this as it will not leak into my firewood. However he then tells me to make sure I wear gloves while handling the fence pailing. I haven't bought them yet as I want to be certain. Would any one know this ..please and thankyou.
Thanks for the help guys, and yeah I meant arsonic. Yes I'm in Australia, I'm not a guy I'm a chick . I ended up building a few wood stacks, I made do with some untreated pine pallets I pulled apart and some star picket posts. We are in Autumn, winter temps vary depending on which part of Australia you are located. I am on the mid nth east coast. This is one of several wood stacks I made. Fyi. Thanks again.

IMG20220420123047.jpg

Thanks for the help guys, and yeah I meant arsonic. Yes I'm in Australia, I'm not a guy I'm a chick . I ended up building a few wood stacks, I made do with some untreated pine pallets I pulled apart and some star picket posts. We are in Autumn, winter temps vary depending on which part of Australia you are located. I am on the mid nth east coast. This is one of several wood stacks I made. Fyi. Thanks again.

View attachment 294909
Nicely done. I wouldn't have worried about the pressure treated but if it makes you more comfortable without it that's all that matters

That is perfect imo.
If you have rain, it'll help if the top is covered. (Tho the lighting suggests it's under an overhanging roof?)

This is interesting to me. How cold does it get there? What kind of wood stove do you have?

"Treating any wood product -- fence, woodshed or firewood -- with arson does not usually end well for the wood."
I caught that firefighter jake. Good one.

For that stacking method you don't even need pressured treated. Just regular 2x4 or pallet wood or whatever will be fine.

This is interesting to me. How cold does it get there? What kind of wood stove do you have?
Well like I said depending on the location , my location winter averages around 5-8 degrees Celcius nights at the low and around tops of 20-22 deg C daytime. I have one of these small ones.

IMG_20220421_064455.jpg

This guy is in Australia. Twenty years ago we had arsenic in PT wood here in America. Feds made them take all arsenic out of PT wood, about 15 years ago. I infer that they still use arsenic in PT wood in Australia.

I don't think you will have a problem putting firewood in a shed made of arsenic laden PT wood. However, DO NOT burn arsenic laden PT wood in your yard, in a place where you might want to make a vegetable garden. Arsenic from PT wood will remain in the ground for many years.

How cold does it get in Australia? What kind of wood do you burn, eucaliptis wood? I thought Australia was a desert.
Hardwood,: A mix of Redgum,Ironbark,& yellow box wood

Your wood stack do not need pressure treated lumber. Save some dollars.

Nice stove you have! (Good view). Make sure your wood is dry when you burn it (don't know how fast things will dry in your climate).
But it seems you are doing things right.