DIY Hearth Pad and Wall Tile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pug

Jan 11, 2016
Boise, Idaho
I am not a professional tile installer but I have done quite a bit and people have commented it looks good so I am sharing with you my latest home project.

I am in the process of installing a new Osburn 2400 in a corner in my basement. The stove will be installed at a 45 degree angle to the walls. I looked at the specs for the stove and it told me the dimensions I had to be away from combustible surfaces. I pulled the carpet up exposing the concrete floor and then made a cardboard template of the stove per its dimensions. I laid the template on the floor and measured to the wall corners to get the required dimensions. I will say here that I purchased a required building permit and have to put the stove in per specs to not have a problem with my insurance.

I am doing my own tile work, having done tile work before but even if you never have, it is easy to learn how from a knowledgeable salesman or even better Youtube. Once my template was taped to the floor I then made lines as to how I would lay out my tiles. Even though my distances from the stove to my sheet rocked walls didn't require a wall tile I decided to anyway. I picked out some one foot square glass copper look tiles. Each individual piece is about one inch with all of them stuck to a backer material. All you do is stick it to the wall with mortar mix paying attention to keep it level and the lines aligned up. You let it dry and then spread grout mix on filling in the little cracks and clean it off per instructions. I made mine 4 ft by 4 ft on each back wall.

On the floor with the cardboard stove template taped down, I measured and marked the floor with colored pensils indicating each individual tile. These tiles are about a half inch thick and 17 x 17 inches, where the wall pieces were about 3/16 inch thick. After starting in the 90 degree corner of the back walls I started working out from the corner with the full tiles putting the mortar down. After I got 4 full tiles out (horizontally and vertically) and using a square to keep it all square, I marked 45 degree angles connecting the vertical and horizontal lines to make an angled front piece. Run a straight edge along these edges to mark your cut on these last two large tiles.

I wanted a little fancier look around the edges so I cut some tiles in quarters (4 x 17 inch) and made a bit of a decorative edge around the outside edges. I picked out the back wall glass tiles and the floor ceramic tiles at Home Depot as they had the best selection and I wanted to see how the colors looked together. I spent about $370 on all the tile, mortar, a couple of hand tools, the grout etc. I will have about 2 1/2 days into doing it all. I got the look I wanted and the floor and back wall all done for that price. You will need a tile saw. Either rent one or buy one at Harbor Freight. There really wasn't that many cuts to make.

I will be doing the final grouting tomorrow. My new stove will be here in about a week so I will then set it in place and mark out where on the wall I will exit out through the concrete basement wall and order the needed black pipe I need and the outside triple wall that goes up the outer wall above the roof. I am pretty comfortable doing a little carpentry, tile work etc. and enjoy building projects myself. If you are sort of like me (probably more proficient) give it a shot. If I can help in any way just let me know.

Pug

Reactions: Omara and Tracks74
Sounds like good progress. Are you taking pictures along the way?

I am not a professional tile installer but I have done quite a bit and people have commented it looks good so I am sharing with you my latest home project.

I am in the process of installing a new Osburn 2400 in a corner in my basement. The stove will be installed at a 45 degree angle to the walls. I looked at the specs for the stove and it told me the dimensions I had to be away from combustible surfaces. I pulled the carpet up exposing the concrete floor and then made a cardboard template of the stove per its dimensions. I laid the template on the floor and measured to the wall corners to get the required dimensions. I will say here that I purchased a required building permit and have to put the stove in per specs to not have a problem with my insurance.

I am doing my own tile work, having done tile work before but even if you never have, it is easy to learn how from a knowledgeable salesman or even better Youtube. Once my template was taped to the floor I then made lines as to how I would lay out my tiles. Even though my distances from the stove to my sheet rocked walls didn't require a wall tile I decided to anyway. I picked out some one foot square glass copper look tiles. Each individual piece is about one inch with all of them stuck to a backer material. All you do is stick it to the wall with mortar mix paying attention to keep it level and the lines aligned up. You let it dry and then spread grout mix on filling in the little cracks and clean it off per instructions. I made mine 4 ft by 4 ft on each back wall.

On the floor with the cardboard stove template taped down, I measured and marked the floor with colored pensils indicating each individual tile. These tiles are about a half inch thick and 17 x 17 inches, where the wall pieces were about 3/16 inch thick. After starting in the 90 degree corner of the back walls I started working out from the corner with the full tiles putting the mortar down. After I got 4 full tiles out (horizontally and vertically) and using a square to keep it all square, I marked 45 degree angles connecting the vertical and horizontal lines to make an angled front piece. Run a straight edge along these edges to mark your cut on these last two large tiles.

I wanted a little fancier look around the edges so I cut some tiles in quarters (4 x 17 inch) and made a bit of a decorative edge around the outside edges. I picked out the back wall glass tiles and the floor ceramic tiles at Home Depot as they had the best selection and I wanted to see how the colors looked together. I spent about $370 on all the tile, mortar, a couple of hand tools, the grout etc. I will have about 2 1/2 days into doing it all. I got the look I wanted and the floor and back wall all done for that price. You will need a tile saw. Either rent one or buy one at Harbor Freight. There really wasn't that many cuts to make.

I will be doing the final grouting tomorrow. My new stove will be here in about a week so I will then set it in place and mark out where on the wall I will exit out through the concrete basement wall and order the needed black pipe I need and the outside triple wall that goes up the outer wall above the roof. I am pretty comfortable doing a little carpentry, tile work etc. and enjoy building projects myself. If you are sort of like me (probably more proficient) give it a shot. If I can help in any way just let me know.

Pug
I am looking forward to seeing your pictures! I am researching what type of hearth I want to have installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.