DIY LP propane fire pan / pit flames distorted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

maeffjus

Oct 23, 2017
Germany
Hi Guys,

I'm from Germany and gas-fired pits are very uncommon here.
You could buy one, but they are expensive and do not match my requirements.
So I decided to build my own.

It worked out well until I filled the pan with lava (for testing) and later with glas.
Both times the flames had fully lost any pattern (sure, the bulk-solid distributes the gas), but it was so random - I really don't want to use it like it is.

To resolve this, I checked tons of websites and forums, but nowhere has been a solution.
My guess is, the fire needs air to burn, partially this air is sucked in sideways over the pan and due to convection into the pan. (Passing through the lava / glas) This drags the gas around and leaves the flames burning in random places.

The solution that came up to my mind was to drill some vent-holes into the pan. But I don't want to damage it for nothing. I'd drill them sideways in order to drag the gas to the middle by incomming air.

To give you some idea about the size: The pan is 650x250mm (25"x 10") on the outside, the height is ~70mm (2 3/4"). The tubes are buried about 4cm (1 1/2") beneath the bulk-material.

So do you got any idea what I can do to make it work a little better? Will the holes help?
It needs to be pretty much centered since the table around it shall be made by wood. When the flames are located randomly at the outside, the pan might heats too much for the wood to withstand.

Any help is appreciated!

Regards,

Maeffjus

2017-09-06 20.34.29.jpg 2017-09-06 20.34.56.jpg 2017-09-08 17.45.54.jpg 2017-10-11 19.21.15.jpg