DIY water heater 2 boiler experiment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lectraplayer

Nov 3, 2014
Crimson Tide Country
I've seen many such projects online and doing one seems like it might have potential. I'm wanting to take a 33K-BTU propane hot water heater and turn it into a wood-fired hot water heater/boiler for domestic hot water and/or hydronic floor heat. It will go in my wellhouse (though I have utility water), not in my house, and I will use the same safety valve that comes with it. I also am not replacing my electric hot water heater until I see what this project will do. It has what looks to be a 4 inch chimney pipe with a vent collar.

A) How much chimney pipe do I need to get a proper draft? Should I forego the vent collar and run my chimney directly into my tank flue? Also, the vent collar has a small "blockage" (circular disk suspended on "crosshairs") designed into it. What is this for?

B) The tank has a twisted metal "divider" in the flue (through the center of the tank). What is this divider for? Will it help me or harm me on my draft?

C) I am thinking about using cinder blocks with portland cement & rebar built on the concrete floor of my wellhouse as the firebox. What (if anything) do I need to line it with and what would be the optimal size space for the firebox? What size intake air holes do I need? Would a 16x8 inch (one block out) opening on bottom course suffice?

Not a good idea as proposed. If you forge ahead anyway, be sure to put a pipe on the T/P valve so it will spray into the firebox in the event of an overfire, that might save your bacon a little.

The twisty thing is a turbulator - it helps get more heat from the hot gas into the water. While it won't help the draft, it's kind of the whole point of a water heater...the disk may server a similar function, or be for draft control.

Before introducing the exhaust from a wood fire into a water heater, the wood fire products should have fully combusted at high temperatures. Think 2-3 feet of very well insulated refractory tunnel between firebox and the W/H.

You'll probably kill the W/H if you forge blindly ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.