Do any stoves last longer than 24 hours on a fill?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanBrown3D

Oct 16, 2006
Princeton, NJ
I think I heard once of a stove that could run 42 hours off one fill of wood. Don't remember what it was. I want a stove that can last from around midnight to 7pm, that's nearly 20 hours. Any recommendations?

Natural gas.

My pellet/corn/coal stove will burn on low for 2 days .
That is about 1 + 2/3 # an hour.

That keeps my home nice and toasty when it is in the 30's outside.
When it hits the 20's and teens then I have to load it everyday.
If it gets below 0 the it goes to high at about 8 # an hour or loading twie a day.

Our St Croix Prescott EXP will run about
the same as homefire in the post before
mine. We typically run a 50/50 corn/pellet mix.

I can't resist....

A PE summit is said to go for an entire season on 4 splits of wood. (oak of course...It ain't a magic stove!!!) :p

Seriously though, Are you asking about coal? Wood? Pellets?

Pellet stoves will go that long since they just feed pellets, and some of the larger coal stoves will go for 24 hours...like a Harman Mark III. Also Coal stokers like Alaska's Harmons etc... will go for days, but those are a function of hopper size.

As far as wood stoves....The bigger the better I'd guess, I'd bet the biggest Woodstocks and Vermont castings CAT stoves burn a long time.

12 hours or so?

24 hours is a really long time for wood. You have to consider that even if you manage to get a lot of wood into a a stove, it has the odd tendancy to burn it. And burn it all at once. There is a stoves minimum output

I'm sorry, I was talking about a wood stove, not coal or pellets or anything else. Maybe what I read once was for a pellet stove, without realizing it.

Thanks for putting me right.

Dean

Dylan said:
But, IMNSHO, anyone bent on achieving those 'long burns', should get philosophical for a moment, and ask themselves, "How much heat do they REALLY think is contained in a given MASS of wood fiber."

Let's see... If we're allowed to use nuclear fusion then the answer would be E=MC^2 ;)

Willhound said:
Hi Dean
Depending on the article you were reading, could it have also been an outdoor wood-fired boiler set-up? I've seen these easily go 24 hours or more before re-fillling, just because of the size of the firebox.

Let me clarify Willhound's point here a little... Wood fired boilders do not operate at all like a wood stove, and Some (all maybe?) of these wood-fired boilers have a forced draft so that when there is a demand for heat, they push draft, thus burn, then return to a starvation mode until heat is called for again.

I could see those going 24 hours, but a modern EPA stove WILL burn the wood at a minimum rate, and I can't imagine it being even 24 hours long.

In order to meet the EPA rating, wood stoves MUST burn the wood vs allow it to smoulder, and that burn causes a minimum consumption of wood in order to maintain firebox temps, otherwise it does smoulder.

Warren said:
I can't resist....

A PE summit is said to go for an entire season on 4 splits of wood. (oak of course...It ain't a magic stove!!!) :p

One pellet burning in a Pumpkin pie tin will last 6 weeks in my stove. Due to the price of pellets being so high, I made a bulk purchase of 4 pellets, for the season.

-- Mike

24 hours... not on your life.

DeanB said:
I think I heard once of a stove that could run 42 hours off one fill of wood. Don't remember what it was. I want a stove that can last from around midnight to 7pm, that's nearly 20 hours. Any recommendations?

IMHO, getting 24 hr. burns is not too unrealistic if you
go with a "Cat" stove that has a large firebox. Chances
are that you'll only get a modest average heat out of it,
because setting it to a "low" heat output to achieve the
longest possible burn. You would also want to go with the
hardest, densest woods, such as oak (etc.).
Recommend stoves??
-Blaze King "King" model
-Buck Stove model 91
or any other unit that has a Cat element & a large firebox.

Rob

Blaze king has a stove the Ultra 1107 that they claim has a 40hr burn time. Cat stove with 4.32 firebox with automatic thermostat that holds 90lbs of oak they say. There is a chart on there web site that outlines a test burn they did that lasted 47 hours, avg btu output was 7,000/hr and stack temps were 200 deg. Long on burn times...short on looks :roll:

With 200 degree stack temps, I suspect it might have a propensity to be long on the creosote too.

"Sounds like" the king of all stoves.

Blaze King
The King 1107 is available in Ultra, Parlour And Classic

Up to 90,000 Btu's (see brochure for details)
Incredible 82.5% Efficiency
Optional Gold Plated Doors
Mobile Home Approved (All Models) Ultra, Parlor & Classic
Operates During Power Failures
Wide-View Door with Optional Gold Trim
Easy To Clean Hinged Door
1400 Degree Ceramic Glass
Optional Variable Speed Dual Fans
Temperature Sensor Turns Fan off/on at your Preset Speed
Limited - 5 Year Warrantee + 6 Years on Catalytic Combustor

http://www.blazeking.com/Blazekingwoodproducts/kingclassic.htm

http://www.blazeking.com/manuals/Brochures/Brochures 2006/70796 King.pdf

40 hour burn time ? 82.5% Efficiency? 1.76 g/ph emissions ?

Why isnt this stove more popular is all this is true?
I think its time for some research .

Roospike said:

1. 31" X 30" X 38 1/4" (sucker would requires its own addition onto the house)

2. Cat stove

3. 8" flue (there goes most existing chimneys)

4. 34" X 45" floor protection requirement

5. 27" clearance to walls for single wall pipe.

In other words, this bad boy takes up some serious room and tosses some serious heat.

BrotherBart said:
Roospike said:

1. 31" X 30" X 38 1/4" (sucker would requires its own addition onto the house)

2. Cat stove

3. 8" flue (there goes most existing chimneys)

4. 34" X 45" floor protection requirement

5. 27" clearance to walls for single wall pipe.

In other words, this bad boy takes up some serious room and tosses some serious heat.

Good points BB !
For me it just dont add up ........."40 hour burn time ? 82.5% Efficiency? 1.76 g/ph emissions ?"

Can one really smolder a fire down for 40 hours to have 200° stack temps and be 82.5% Efficiency with only 1.76 g/ph emissions VERY ODD!

It was my understanding that once you get over 75% Efficiency you have real issues with draft and thus is why most stoves are under 75% Efficiency. ( Bogus cover up claim ? True information ? ) It make sense tho.

That's the one I read about. Thanks very much!

One thing I don't get though, if its so efficient, why does it need an 8" pipe? The exhaust is supposed to be cool!

-Dean

I'm looking to call a Blaze King dealer and ask about there claims of 40-47 burn times and getting 82.5% Efficiency with only 1.76 g/ph emissions , See if he will give me a 100% money back guarantee if the stove dont preform at least 80% of what that say on hard woods.

Roospike, your stove must operate similar since it says this one has a thermostat control of the fire.

I noticed it said it could run 40 hours on low.

47,000 BTUs during this burn time ?

I'm sure there are lots of variables here, as there is with any stove.

Robbie.

Roospike said:
I'm looking to call a Blaze King dealer and ask about there claims of 40-47 burn times and getting 82.5% Efficiency with only 1.76 g/ph emissions , See if he will give me a 100% money back guarantee if the stove dont preform at least 80% of what that say on hard woods.

Gotta remember Spike. They say that it can burn for 40-47 hours and get up to 82.5 efficiency. Not at the same time. 82.5% may be with a full load for four hours.

Don't ya just love the marketing guys?

BrotherBart said:
Roospike said:

Gotta remember Spike. They say that it can burn for 40-47 hours and get up to 82.5 efficiency. Not at the same time. 82.5% may be with a full load for four hours.

Don't ya just love the marketing guys?
Thats what I'm thinking per a 4 hour burn time to get 82% . So this would be an EPA stove ? If so what are Efficiency & emissions #'s and would the EPA pass this stove at there 40 hour claim. Just like an ourdoor boiler might get good emissions if it ran at 4 straight hours but as we know they cycle on and off / the water jacket cools the fire box ect..ect... and ends up putting the outdoor wood boiler at 25%-50% Efficiency and ends up rolling smoke to an over all of up to 80 g/ph of emissions.

Robbie said:
Roospike, your stove must operate similar since it says this one has a thermostat control of the fire.

I noticed it said it could run 40 hours on low.

47,000 BTUs during this burn time ?

I'm sure there are lots of variables here, as there is with any stove.

Robbie.
True , The EBT on the PE Summit does control temp and burn time but being an EPA stove it wont let you choke it down to the point of getting 20+ burn times. Full load of the PE Summit and turned all the way down is still going to run so hot / so high and you only have so much control per the stove is going to burn at a temp to combust of gasses.

EPA listed information per Blaze King model # 1107

Blaze King KEJ 1107

Catalytic

Emissions g/ph 1.8

Efficiency 72 %

Heat output 9100-39800

Expiration Date 07/09/2007

Status
Not open for further replies.