Do fisher insert doors fit on a grandma stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chris.ross212

Nov 24, 2016
Clinton, Maine
Does anybody know if Fisher wood stove insert doors will fit on a Fisher Grandma Bear stove? They both have the arched doors but the insert has the nickel plate and before I buy it I was hoping to find out if it would fit my grandma bear stove with black doors. Thanks

Yes, the Fireplace Insert does use Grandma doors.
However, don't expect to easily switch doors on any Fisher Stove.

There were many foundries making doors and the patterns vary slightly. Each firebox was laid on its back and the doors were set in place, centered on the door sealing 1 inch channel iron. Then the hinge plates were pinned with hinge pin to door and tacked in position. After testing door operation and fit, the hinge plates were fully welded in place. So if you try other doors, chances are they are from another foundry or from another mold that your hinge plates were welded to fit.
By grinding off the original weld, remove hinge plates from stove. Lay on its back and position doors correctly on door seal. Pin door to hinge plate, tack and try door fitment. Weld fully as original.

Yes, the Fireplace Insert does use Grandma doors.
However, don't expect to easily switch doors on any Fisher Stove.

There were many foundries making doors and the patterns vary slightly. Each firebox was laid on its back and the doors were set in place, centered on the door sealing 1 inch channel iron. Then the hinge plates were pinned with hinge pin to door and tacked in position. After testing door operation and fit, the hinge plates were fully welded in place. So if you try other doors, chances are they are from another foundry or from another mold that your hinge plates were welded to fit.
By grinding off the original weld, remove hinge plates from stove. Lay on its back and position doors correctly on door seal. Pin door to hinge plate, tack and try door fitment. Weld fully as original.
Awesome thanks so much ill have to try that out. Would love nickel on my grandma.