Do I give up on the dream?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

svenrichard

Jan 3, 2024
Maple Grove, MN
We just bought our first house with a fireplace (two actually) and my dream is to put a soapstone stove in the lower level fireplace.
The hearth is only 12” deep, so I can try to extend that, or pick a unit that fits into the space. [37” wide - 27” tall - 24” deep]
I’ve been looking at the hearthstone Castleton to fit inside or the Heritage if I extend the hearth. Should I just bite the bullet, give up on the dream of a soapstone stove and put an insert in, or can the hearth be extended to make one of those work?

image.jpg

I was thinking of supporting one of these -

T2UL2832BL-1C with some brackets from below. I might have to buy one and put it in place to convince the wife it will look OK.​

We just bought our first house with a fireplace (two actually) and my dream is to put a soapstone stove in the lower level fireplace.
The hearth is only 12” deep, so I can try to extend that, or pick a unit that fits into the space. [37” wide - 27” tall - 24” deep]
I’ve been looking at the hearthstone Castleton to fit inside or the Heritage if I extend the hearth. Should I just bite the bullet, give up on the dream of a soapstone stove and put an insert in, or can the hearth be extended to make one of those work?
That hearth is OTT with those cut stones like jewels...I do not recall having seen that before

Is enlarging that opening not an option? It would be very messy stone cutting...and verifying clearances...
I suppose there really isn't much scope to modify that hearth without ruining the aesthetic of the partial random nature of the stones in that "layout". If steel was to be installed higher up to move that current header up, could it not be set back far enough to cover with soap stone or some form of a mantle?

I understand dream modification...I'm amidst that at this monent

Reactions: svenrichard
Not sure if maybe there is enough room to put the stove on the hearth and then just add a hearth pad in front of the existing hearth extension that is rated for the stove?

I think you can do it. While my hearth is not the same material as yours, the size is approx the same. Can you get short legs for the Castleton? Sorry have not looked at the dimensions of that stove. I know the WoodStock Progress Hybrid with short legs would work and that is a larger stove. I had initially planned to buy the Woodstock and had one on order when I got a great deal on a Jotul F55 that helped offset the cost of the liner. The Jotul also has a short leg option and that is what I am using plus both these stoves are rear vent optionally if you need it. I second the use of a hearth pad out front.

with the tiles i don't think you need to worry' buy fire proof rug and you should be ok,but i'm sure one of the pro's will let you no for sure.rear vent would allow the stove to be seen better than stuffing it in the fireplace.my 2cents lol

Woodstock soapstone rear vent to a T in the fireplace then up and out with 6” insulated liner, Woodstock also had a side loading door so no hearth extension needed as long as you have 16” of non-combustible in front of the door

I think you can do it. While my hearth is not the same material as yours, the size is approx the same. Can you get short legs for the Castleton? Sorry have not looked at the dimensions of that stove. I know the WoodStock Progress Hybrid with short legs would work and that is a larger stove. I had initially planned to buy the Woodstock and had one on order when I got a great deal on a Jotul F55 that helped offset the cost of the liner. The Jotul also has a short leg option and that is what I am using plus both these stoves are rear vent optionally if you need it. I second the use of a hearth pad out front.
I was told the hearthstone short leg option was discontinued a few years back. Both my dealers told me that. If someone knows otherwise, I’m all for it.

I was told the hearthstone short leg option was discontinued a few years back. Both my dealers told me that. If someone knows otherwise, I’m all for it.
I would buy a Woodstock before Heathstone if you can but Woodstock build them and sells direct to consumer thus there is usually a waiting list due to production runs. Not sure Hearthstone sells short legs either.

That hearth is pretty cool. I would probably do an insert, or something to keep the hearth intact without modifying it.

Are you sure you want a soapstone with that hearth? Only asking because of the possible “clash” between materials? Don’t get me wrong, I really like soapstone stoves but like you, our hearth that is stone veneer and I think it would clash if I went that route so went black instead.

There are good stoves that will fit. Don't let the soapstone hold you up.

Are you sure you want a soapstone with that hearth? Only asking because of the possible “clash” between materials? Don’t get me wrong, I really like soapstone stoves but like you, our hearth that is stone veneer and I think it would clash if I went that route so went black instead.
That has been a concern for me as well. Part of why I titled this about giving up on the dream is if I’m just being crazy and should put in a simple insert (has to be rebate qualifying ) and be done with it.

I've got a Woodstock Fireview in front of a brick fireplace, and IMO they look nice together. They offer a couple different color combos for the cast iron frame with the soapstone, I think a light grey framing that goes with the stone would look nice with what you have. The only trick is you'll want to put it in front of the firebox rather than in it, so you might need to either extend the hearth, or build a second one in front of the existing one (that's what I ended up doing - there was some cool brickwork in the raised hearth that I wanted to keep, which meant I couldn't extend the raised bit).

This is what mine looks like, if it's helpful to have a visual for the in-front-of-the-hearth option. The tin tile is to block off the fireplace opening - it's actually a removable screen on top of metal closet rails (all non-combustibles), but you could do a similar thing with porcelain tile, and there's some cool onyx-look large tiles that would go with your stonework.

I'm super happy with my stove, and glad I didn't just go with an insert, so consider this a vote for not giving up on the dream!

fire.jpg

If the floor is stone tiled then there may be no need to extend the hearth as long as the stove fits. It will provide ember protection which is all that should be needed with the (12"?) raised hearth.

As far as the stove, it's important to consider the end goals. The Hearthstones are pretty, but not ideal if the goal is 24/7 heating here. I would also lean toward a Woodstock stove for that purpose if soapstone is a visual must have.

If the floor is stone tiled then there may be no need to extend the hearth as long as the stove fits. It will provide ember protection which is all that should be needed with the (12"?) raised hearth.

As far as the stove, it's important to consider the end goals. The Hearthstones are pretty, but not ideal if the goal is 24/7 heating here. I would also lean toward a Woodstock stove for that purpose if soapstone is a visual must have.
My primary goal is just to have a fireplace. Second is a SHTF heat source. (Primary heat with Natural Gas)