Do I have a problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

amsoil dealer

Feb 21, 2015
Park Rapids, MN
I have an old Heatmor 200. Fired it up the other day and everything is working fine. I went to put new stove pipe on and noticed that the roof was pretty warm. I figured I was losing a lot of heat through the roof. Had the wife grab 2 rolls of r30 insulation. I pulled the roof off and put 2 layers down on top of the current insulation inside. Topped off last night and went to bed. Checked the stove this morning (around 30 degrees) and hardly used any Wood.

Came home after work to cut wood and noticed some paint missing in spots on the stove. It out shouldn't have gotten too hot as I didn't burn much wood in those 11-12 hours.

Should I be concerned? Did the added insulation cause the stove to get too hot? The only thing I can think of is the hot spots are about the same height as the water level when I drop the dip stick in to the water level.

Let me know your thoughts. Easy enough to pull a layer of insulation out. The plus side is very minimal wood usage so far.

Attachments

• KIMG1611.JPG
    KIMG1611.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 203
  • KIMG1610.JPG
    KIMG1610.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 209
  • KIMG1609.JPG
    KIMG1609.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 188
Only way I can see that paint doing that from your fire, is if the fire is right against the other side of the metal. Is your water level still OK? I would think the most heat that metal would see, is from some steam escaping - which shouldn't mess up any paint I've ever used, I don't think. That's only boiler water temp.

I was questioning how it could even happen. I would think that if there was a fire against the walls that there would have been a lot more paint missing. I checked the water level and it is actually higher on the dipstick than normal. I am so confused.

here is what changed recently. Added the insulation, went from a 2' to 4' smoke stack.

Not knowing the design and construction of these rigs, One question. What is behind those burn patches, Water jacket or steel fire box?

Somewhere you have an immense amount of heat being dumped between the vessel and the skin, Adding insulation probably concentrated the heat to those spots and/or reduced the surface area that allowed it to cool to below "paint burning" temperatures.

Whatever the reason, it shouldn't be happening.

I was talking to a guy at work. He is thinking that there is a crack in the chimney stack underneath the roof and I was getting legit flames. Not sure if that is the case or not. I am hoping if it is cracked that I have enough material to weld to or I am probably in big trouble.

the only other possibility I can think of would be that when I shot the spray foam in around the fill port and the chimney stack that it got hot and ignited. I am kind of doubting that but who knows at this point.

going to take a quick peek when I get home and probably shut it down to be safe. I don't want to wreck anything. It's supplemental heat and we are currently fluctuating temps from 20-40 degrees outside so I think it will be ok for a bit.

Pull covers and see what's going on. If you got spray foam too close to the chimney stack it may have ignited and burned it up. That's what it looks like anyway.

I'm hoping you are right. I clearly wasnt thinking as I shot it down around the chimney stack and around the top. I am planning on taking it apart tomorrow and setting what's going on. I touched the tin of one of the "hot spots" tonight and it was warm but by no means hot. That could just be a spot with minimal insulation.

Well in looking at this tonight I'm thinking it was the spray foam. I lost quite a bit of the old insulation due to the plastic melting into it. I pulled the insulation out and looked everything over. No visible cracks or holes. I fired the boiler back up and ran with the roof off until it got up to temp and idled. I see no issues. Threw what was left of the insulation back in and laid the roof back on. Going to pick up more r30 and replace what is bad. Thought about wrapping leather around the chimney portion that is under the roof. Hello hold the heat in and keep the insulation from getting too hot. Kind of paranoid now.

Attachments

• KIMG1614.JPG
    KIMG1614.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 208
  • KIMG1615.JPG
    KIMG1615.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 199
  • KIMG1616.JPG
    KIMG1616.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 201
Leather?

my thought was an old welding jacket or something of the like. Do they make an insulation that you can wrap around the portion of the chimney pipe that is under the roof? or would standard unfaced fiberglass insulation work? I don't know a ton about these things.