Do I need a Thimble?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fishcakes

Sep 30, 2022
nj
Hello again all. Taking your advice, I've purchased a drolet colombia 2 and plan on installing it and a 6" liner tomorrow. My chimney is clay lined, but the liner is cracked in a few places. I took out the old 8" x6" smoke pipe reducer to find that the crock ends approx 1" before the end of the brick with no gaps. Crock has no cracks or damage.

My question is, do I need to install a thimble if the are no combustibles within 5 ft considering the piping will go through the preexisting clay?

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I spent about an hour searching the site for this specific scenario and couldn't find anything. Thanks

20221022_174002.jpg 20221022_174006.jpg

If there is 18" or more of masonry to any combustibles in all directions, then an insulated thimble is not needed, but the 6" tee snout is going to be a bit sloppy with 1" + clearance around it.

If there is 18" or more of masonry to any combustibles in all directions, then an insulated thimble is not needed, but the 6" tee snout is going to be a bit sloppy with 1" + clearance around it.
ok good news! I mean, it's an 8" crock but I'm running 6" pipe inside it to the tee.

the slop was my other concern, but I figured at least I could cover the gap with a collar. I figure no one should be touching the pipe anyway(cause it's hot!)

I would at least pack around it with 1" stove rope gasket.

The furnace cement can easily crack when the pipe is taken off. Something more flexible is better. I.e. rope gasket.

Can roxul be stuffed in too?

I was thinking about using furnace cement around the 6" where it goes into the chimney, but I wasn't sure if it would pass inspection
What is behind that brick facing?