Do I need fire bricks on bottom of fisher grandpa

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WVfisherstove

Feb 27, 2016
Daniels, wv
This is my first post. I inherited a grandpa fisher stove when I bought our house last year. It has some broken and missing bricks that I want to replace. It doesn't have any bricks on the bottom of the inside. I wanted to see if I need some.

Yes.
Also burn on an inch of ash.

Depending on the Grandpa model I, II , or III the brick layout is on this Forum

The bricks are know as firebrick "splits". They are half the thickness of a full brick. You can find them at building supply outlets for far less than other outlets. I think I paid about $1.50 each last time I bought some. Some places are asking over $4 a piece for them.

You may need to cut some of them, I use a circular saw with a masonry blade. A drawing of the pattern and sizes can probably be found on this site.