Do I need Steel? Help with Vermont Castings Hearth Pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkinsley

Mar 2, 2014
I purchased an older Vermont Castings Resolute with a factory coal kit that was manufactured in the early 80s, it appears was never used except for the ash pan which shows very limited use

I am in the process of building up the hearth. My only concern is my old VC manual does not give a specific R Value for the hearth pad. It states to use 24 gauge galvinised steel over two layers of 1/4 inch cement board and the cement board over 3/4 inch plywood. .

Do I need the steel if I tile over the cement board?

Does 24 gauge steel have an R Value?

It seems the K value would negate any benefit provided by the R Value because the steel will transfer the heat very quickly, or am I way off? The stove has the regular legs not the short ones. I currently have steel studs down for a 1.5 inch air space over the existing floor with 3/4 ply wood on top and then two layers of 1/2 durarock next gen which I intend to tile with ceramic tile.

A concern that I have also is that this has the coal kit in it. The manual is obviously geared towards a wood stove, I assume that coal burns hotter. Should I consider a third layer of durarock? As with most of the comments I have seen Micore is apparently a controlled substance and I have had no luck finding it at a local store. .. If I am thinking about this right. VC is telling me to use two layers of 1/4 cement board that has an r value of roughly .15 The 1/2 inch Durarock I am using has a r value of .39 each. So withstanding the omission of the steel and the un known r value there it seems like I am over building it. Also I have to admit I am not sure what the metal studs under the ply wood in my construction are really accomplishing but they didn't cost any more than wood so I guess it cant hurt. Any advise would be much appreciated. I am very grateful I found this site.

New stoves only need ember protection on the floor. Most say to use 26 gauge sheet metal or a non combustible surface. I would assume the same applies here. But you should look into using a few layers of Micore and then Durock over that. It's been discussed on here a bunch, do a quick search.

thanks Micore is impossible to find. Except at my office where its used in every cube. I refrained from dismantling my office and went with two layers of durorock and ceramic tiles. My hearth is large enough that I will almost meet the manufacturers clearances for unprotected walls only about two inches shy on the side the back will be more that 10 inches over the clearance for unprotected walls. I think will be okay. Thanks for your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.