Do I need to climb up on my roof?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mike508

Jul 17, 2017
MA
I have a wood burning insert (VC Montpelier) with a 20' liner, and I clean it with a rotary sooteater. I access the liner from the stove and run the sooteater all the way up to the cap. I can see the cap from the ground and it looks fine. Do i need to climb up on the roof to check it? It is a highly pitched roof and pretty high, hoping to hear if folks think running the sooteater all the way up till it touches is fine along with a visual inspection from the ground. Below is a close representation to what the cap looks like. Thanks, Mike

upload_2018-4-18_11-26-56.png

Check it with binoculars. With that coarse mesh screen it's probably fine as long as the wood being burned if fully seasoned.

So when ppl say to inspect it, what are they looking for? The mesh getting clogged with debris? Because I can definitely see that is it is clear, just not really sure what to even look for.

These are extreme examples but you get the idea.

begreen is right, if you have fine mesh it will get clogged and then, no fun at all with the wood stove.
My mom's house has just such an install and I have to go up on her roof every year and clean the mesh. I just knock it four or five times with a broom stick, the brittle creosote falls right off.

When my chimney liner installer installed my cap he took mesh off and said “it will just be likely to clog up and cause more problems”. Been running for five years without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: skibadybop
Begreen shows the mesh on the caps clogging....he's correct. It's the coldest part of any flue.
BUT: the Selkirk cap shown on the right pic is needed to break up live coals usually when starting a fire from leaving the flue.
Remember that those little animals--squirrels, birds---can get into the flue without the mesh in the off season.
We only need a once a year sweeping and brushing the cap. Keep the mesh, ignore your installer.:rolleyes:

Reactions: spolleypt
Begreen shows the mesh on the caps clogging....he's correct. It's the coldest part of any flue.
BUT: the Selkirk cap shown on the right pic is needed to break up live coals usually when starting a fire from leaving the flue.
Remember that those little animals--squirrels, birds---can get into the flue without the mesh in the off season.
We only need a once a year sweeping and brushing the cap. Keep the mesh, ignore your installer.:rolleyes:

Agreed that the situation may dictate need for the screen and would never recommend anyone do something to jeopardize safety. I have a metal roof, height of chimney above roof and closely have monitored the conditions and it works for me. But that doesn’t mean it will work for others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cast Iron