Do I need to replace this vent? (damaged direct vent fireplace vent)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

j123jam

Jan 4, 2020
Seattle, WA
I have a Napoleon BGD36 direct vent fireplace in my home, built 2005. I tore out the surround for an aesthetic overhaul, and evidently the previous owners made some modifications. They moved the vent from the top exhaust to the rear exhaust port (flue?), and it seems in the process they managed to leave a significant dent and some very small pinholes.

I'm trying to figure out if I need to replace this or not worry about it and just plug any pinholes with sealant. The vent is a double-vent, with an internal 4" steel vent, then an exterior 7" steel vent. Looks like the vent kit (part numbre GD-220) will run my about $100 online, and nobody locally has it in stock.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

20200104_155243.jpg

20200104_155227.jpg