Do they make them like they used to?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

skateboardin08

Mar 30, 2017
Gypsum, CO
Growing up my family had a buck stove that we used to heat the house in the winters. Some years ago my mother decided to replace it with a pellet stove (and Immediately regretted it). I remember it being below zero outside and having to open the doors because it was just too hot inside. Here's a stove very similar to the one we had.
buck-wood-burning-insert-150-americanlisted_36115339.jpg

You'll notice the large vents on the sides that would blow out air so hot you cant hold your hand in front of it. There's also another vent at the top of the front near the flue control. I've recently bought my first home and would love to get one similar. I've been around many wood stoves since but never seen one that blew as much hot air as that old buck stove. My question is, does any company make them like this anymore?

Last edited:
My question is, does any company make them like this anymore?
There are many companies that make very good stoves that crank out great heat yes. But now they make them to get allot more heat out of each piece of wood and put much less dirt into the chimney and the atmosphere. So no no companies make units like that one anymore but that honestly is a good thing.

The Model 91 will broil your hand if you hold it in front of the center vents, not quite as hot from the side vents where the air isn't coming directly over the top of the firebox, above the catalytic combustor. Have you considered weather you want cat or non-cat? Buck also makes some non-cats. Which stove will fit the bill is a question of your home's sq.ft, insulation level and air-sealing, floor plan layout, etc. Also, will the stove be vented into a fireplace or are you running a metal chimney straight up and out through the roof?

I have a Buck 94NC which is their 91 with burn tubes instead of a cat. It cranks out quite a bit of heat also...we have had to open windows a couple of times.
It requires a little play time than a cat stove but we heat an almost 2200 sq ft ranch style house with it.
I am very pleased with it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies, I'm interested in a non-cat. We already have a chimney run straight up through the ceiling. The 94NC looks like it might be a good option.

You can set it up as a freestanding stove or as an insert. We have ours set as an insert. We don't get as much radiant heat from it set up this way, but it's all good. To heat the space we do, we would have to run the fan anyway.

WP_20151015_23_05_57_Pro.jpg

It's a nice little stove.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies, I'm interested in a non-cat. We already have a chimney run straight up through the ceiling. The 94NC looks like it might be a good option.
There are many other good non cat options as well nothing wrong woth bucks but look at regency quadrafire lopi and others i am missing i am sure

They don't make 'em like they used to, and we get to sleep through the night instead of getting up at 2 AM to load the stove as a result.

We split a lot less wood these days, too!

Many of us have fond memories of our pre-EPA stoves, but I don't think anyone here would trade their current stove for one, not even those who have low end stoves.

Reactions: webby3650
I've burned for two seasons now. At first, when I was looking, I swore I wanted nothing to do with a cat stove. Eventually, I was sold on a cat and haven't looked back. I've seen nothing but positive comments from folks like me with either a woodstock or blaze king stove. Because of this, I'd advise anyone shopping for a non-cat stove to give cats a second thought.

I've seen nothing but positive comments from folks like me with either a woodstock or blaze king stove.
You havnt been looking very hard then. I am not saying there is anything wrong with cat stoves at all but there are plenty of people complaining about issues with woodstocks and bks.

I've burned for two seasons now. At first, when I was looking, I swore I wanted nothing to do with a cat stove. Eventually, I was sold on a cat and haven't looked back. I've seen nothing but positive comments from folks like me with either a woodstock or blaze king stove. Because of this, I'd advise anyone shopping for a non-cat stove to give cats a second thought.
I agree.
There have been some folks with issues though. The vast majority couldn't be happier. The ones with issues are isolated and most often have some extreme circumstances. Huge home, super tall or super short flue, uninsulated home etc...
I for 1 will always have a Blaze King in my home!

You havnt been looking very hard then. I am not saying there is anything wrong with cat stoves at all but there are plenty of people complaining about issues with woodstocks and bks.
I'd be curious as to the complaints with the Progress. I have a few minor ones but the benefits far outweigh them by supplying even long range heat with chili on top. And as far as the cat, I wouldn't go back.

Rearscreen,

The Progress is a great stove. What is being overlooked here are that WS and my company have a
I'd be curious as to the complaints with the Progress. I have a few minor ones but the benefits far outweigh them by supplying even long range heat with chili on top. And as far as the cat, I wouldn't go back.

Rearscreen,

Your Progress is a very well engineered product. There are not "plenty of people" with problems with their stoves. It appears to some that this may be the case, however it is because both companies mentioned direct their customers to this audience of experts for their help. Essentially, those that have performance concerns are focused into this site. I know both companies well (I am the VP of one of them) and there are few complaints outside of this site. (Again, because they are sent here for experienced opinions).

Anytime we get a call about a performance related issue, we make suggestions and recommendations for improved performance. If the consumer still has some reservations, we tell them to post their concerns at hearth.com. We further advise them the "regulars" on the site are very familiar with most stoves, past and present, some work in the industry, some are retailers, some are sweeps, some are just well versed in solid fuel combustion.

I get a kick out of seeing how fast those FEW callers we have turn to this site for second..third...fourth etc. opinions. The posts are always within a day or so. What is also a benefit to us as a company, is that the suggestions or recommendations we make are almost entirely supported here by the experts. Sort of like being validated with a second opinion.

No manufacturer would tell you that their products will work in every application, 100% of the time. What separates the better companies (in terms of customer service) are those that work to help the consumer. Some lose site of this and like to focus on few instances that are difficult to resolve.

Again, you invested in a great product, made by a bunch of great people, owned by a great guy and dear friend.

Have a great day....from Anchorage Alaska!

Chris

Reactions: bfitz3
There are not "plenty of people" with problems with their stoves.
I did not mean to imply that there were any real issues with either companies stoves. Just that there have been planty of people that have had issues. But if you put out enough stoves there are people that are going to have problems. And in most cases it is not a problem with the stove it is either a bad setup operator error or bad fuel. I apologize it it came off as overly critical to either company that really is not how I intended it.

Reactions: bfitz3 and BKVP
I believe the best of stoves can run horribly if the set up is wrong or if operator operates it incorrectly. My Progress has had it's moments from operator error (you can see her feet pushing in the avitar). I've posted on another thread about how my brother is about to purchase a Fireview in a new airtight house, no OAK, and 300 degree total of pipe bends to be used spring and fall. Woodstock says it's fine, I'm skeptical.

I believe the best of stoves can run horribly if the set up is wrong or if operator operates it incorrectly. My Progress has had it's moments from operator error (you can see her feet pushing in the avitar). I've posted on another thread about how my brother is about to purchase a Fireview in a new airtight house, no OAK, and 300 degree total of pipe bends to be used spring and fall. Woodstock says it's fine, I'm skeptical.

He's going to be googling for "wood stove flue exhaust fan". ;)

How does one even come close to 300 degrees of bend? Pic?

Also... What was this thread about originally? :)

How does one even come close to 300 degrees of bend? Pic?
Out the back of stove, 90 up 8 feet up another 90, out exterior wall 90, 15 then offset 15. Dr. Seuss style. Post has the words "with drama" in it. A very simple option with no added cost is straight out back to exterior porch, clean out tee then straight up.

Out the back of stove, 90 up 8 feet up another 90, out exterior wall 90, 15 then offset 15. Dr. Seuss style. Post has the words "with drama" in it. A very simple option with no added cost is straight out back to exterior porch, clean out tee then straight up.

Every stove manufacturer out there is reading this thread and thinking, "PLEASE don't buy one of my stoves..." :)

It could be that he only plans to do short, hot burns, and it'll work okay after it warms up, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: BKVP
Well, you don't really count the first one after the rear-vent. I can tell you that the Fireview is an easy breather. Dennis ran his on 13' for years, no issues. My BIL's is running on about 13.5' with no problems, even if it is relatively warm out. How tall is the chimney from stove top to the top of the stack? If you gave Woodstock the facts and they said it will work, I think there's a very good chance that it will. If his house is that tight, an OAK might be needed. What did they say about the tight house?
He's going to be googling for "wood stove flue exhaust fan". ;)
Not with a Fireview, he won't. If it was a BK, maybe so. ;lol
What was this thread about originally? :)
I think he's open to recommendations for NON-CAT stoves. ;lol He hasn't fleshed out the details of what he's trying to do, though...

Last edited:
I can tell you that a Fireview is an easy breather.
That is really good to know and lightens my concerns. One other issue however this is a inch by inch little home and the rear exit pushes the stove out even more into the living space. I will report back with the results in the months to come.

Well, you don't really count the first one after the rear-vent. I can tell you that the Fireview is an easy breather. Dennis ran his on 13' for years, no issues. My BIL's is running on about 13.5' with no problems, even if it is relatively warm out. How tall is the chimney from stove top to the top of the stack? If you gave Woodstock the facts and they said it will work, I think there's a very good chance that it will. If his house is that tight, an OAK might be needed. What did they say about the tight house?
Not with a Fireview, he won't. If it was a BK, maybe so. ;lol
I think he's open to recommendations for NON-CAT stoves. ;lol He hasn't fleshed out the details of what he's trying to do, though...
Well if it worked for Dennis...
who the hell is Dennis?

Every stove manufacturer out there is reading this thread and thinking, "PLEASE don't buy one of my stoves..." :)

It could be that he only plans to do short, hot burns, and it'll work okay after it warms up, though.

I just have to say that I got a kick out of the fact that BKVP liked that post.

Reactions: BKVP
Well if it worked for Dennis...
who the hell is Dennis?

So I read the wood identification threads to test myself on pictures of bark and grain. This will be a test of what I've gleaned from lurking over the years before signing up?

Isn't Dennis someone who used to post as Backwoods Savage? I think he had a habit of telling FirefighterJake that his wood would rot because he didn't split it vertically. I'm not certain of that by any means, but it popped into my head, and so I'm asking.