Do you, or *how* do you recycle all the pellet bags?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use them for garbage bags in the kitchen and also fill some with concrete for the sides of my drainage ditch and also on some of my paths through the woods. If not then i take whats left and recycle them at the dump in a special bin for plastic.

Generally use them for garbage bags, the rest get recycled.

The bags my Barefoots came in are so crappy I can't imagine using them for anything. They all have perforations, so are unsuitable for trash. They'll go in the garbage instead of vice versa.

Call your local animal shelter. Some will take them for clean up bags.

Eric

SparkyDog said:
I like to fill them with nasty chemicals and toss them in the river behind my house. Now that is recycling.

Be sure to poke several tiny holes in the bags so the chemicals can slowly leach out. Otherwise, you risk having a contaminated area if that stuff builds up. Making sure the chemicals are water soluble helps too.

SparkyDog said:
I like to fill them with nasty chemicals and toss them in the river behind my house. Now that is recycling.

So your the reason the fishing was terrible this year!!!! Our waste company provides two containers, recycling and non, I will be placing mine in the recycling one - once my stove gets installed!!!

My garbage/recycling company takes anything with#1-#7 marked on it, so hopefully there won't be any issue putting the #4 LDPE bags out with the regular comingle stuff. I'll keep a few for regular garbage here.

This is a pet peeve of mine. Many companies are using virgin vinyl for these bags. I looked for a recycling center for them and it was 100 miles away! IMHO, the pellet companies should provide for a method of recycling. I feel the same way about Coleman propane cylinders. The amount of these that goes into landfills at our National Parks is huge.

Bill... said:
Fill them up with empty beer bottles and cans, ;)

That's a great idea!

Only issue I see is, what if I fill the bags up faster than I burn pellets....what will I do then??? :lol:

macman said:
Bill... said:
Fill them up with empty beer bottles and cans, ;)

That's a great idea!

Only issue I see is, what if I fill the bags up faster than I burn pellets....what will I do then??? :lol:

lol Well make sure you crush the cans first, and then you could store them in a 55 gal barrel until you get an empty bag or two... ;)

Bill... said:
....lol Well make sure you crush the cans first, and then you could store them in a 55 gal barrel until you get an empty bag or two... ;)

Nah, crushing the cans is too much like work....besides, it takes away time I could be emptying the cans.... :-S

macman said:
Nah, crushing the cans is too much like work....besides, it takes away time I could be emptying the cans.... :-S

Yea you have a good point there, and well guess you won't have too many extra bags to worry then ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.