Does anybody else have a Secret Lair under their woodshed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh, nice bomb shelter.

What's w/all the 5 gal buckets? Were those full of paint or maybe military rations? Why would anyone need so much of either one. Hmmm. Are you a painter or a militia type person?

Who went thru all that trouble to build that? It's MUCH nicer than my mech-room/root-cellar.

Traditionally we keep women in a pit (see silence of the lambs) But I guess a coupla kids fit.

That's pretty cool overall. One of my neighbors buried a septic tank and it looked kinda like that inside. Minus the good lookin young man.

Of course it had a water supply and a "restroom" and no tile floor...

I think he now uses it to grow ginsing or something

i love your woodshed even more!!! very cool / nice set up

Way too cool !!!!

A wood shed with a fort, I'd have to chase my kids out of it on a daily basis or just let
em have it for their own.

You did do a good job hiding where the shackles are mounted to the wall.
Behind the paint buckets(full of ammo) I presume ;-)

Seriously though, that's the coolest thing I ever seen.
Now please come over and help me build one.

Stevebass4 said:
i love your woodshed even more!!! very cool / nice set up
+1

Neat . . . I think I'd be hanging around there all the time . . . or at least whenever the Jehovah Witness folks stop by . . . and yes, I am kidding . . . they don't really bother me . . . about the only time I know they've been by is when I see the brochure left near the front door.

that's pretty cool.but its a really bad place to store any kind of paint thinners or stuff like that.with out ventilation that could be a death trap.

bjkjoseph said:
that's pretty cool.but its a really bad place to store any kind of paint thinners or stuff like that.with out ventilation that could be a death trap.
You absolutely correct Joseph, I was wondering if someone might bring that up. I was even concerned about heavy vehicle exhaust gasses getting in there being so close to the driveway. However I did take precautions.
Check out the video again and this time look for the white PVC pipe with a cap on it just to the right of the hole on the surface. Notice it runs inside nearly to the floor inside. I have a removable fan that sits on top of that pipe and when I run it, it sucks the stale heavy air from the bottom of the underground room and blows it outside. I used it a lot while I was working down there.
Also I don't store volatile solvents like paint thinner or oil based paints or stains in there because of the possible dangers from fumes, and because those kinds of solvents don't need protection from the cold anyway.

Here is what it looked like when I first looked inside there.
roots.JPG

Some lilac roots had squeezed in through the lid and were sucking the water out and grew down and spread as they sipped up the water.

Hey! Carbon your post is awesome...what a great story.

Saddam Hussein should have been so lucky to have a "spider hole" such as your liar.
jackpine

man, I'm so jealous. I want something like that. I mean, mancaves are cool, but having a completely hidden space like that opens up a world of possibilities. If only it was just a little bit larger!

Did you find any gold in there???

What a great root celler, onions, potatoes, rootabaggy's, carrots. All I found when building my wood shed was rocks and some hard clay.

I wouldn't store paint in it but I think it would be a great place to keep some basic survival gear like bottled water, MREs and some deadly weapons. I'd also be considering the feasibility of adding a tunnel to get in from the basement.

Anyway, great little room and I'd be happy to have one. Thanks for sharing.

The hideout was cool but the racks were awesome :-O someone mentioned a post about them but I couldnt find it :-(

jdinspector said:
Too funny!! I recognized your wood shed right away from another post you made on the forum.

Me too, I was just reading the whole thread before I went looking to see who's wood shed it was. but figured it was yours.
great job. Way to take an unused space and make use of it.

I thought it was maybe a tornado shelter, when I first saw it.

Gator eye said:
Did you find any gold in there???

Maybe!, after I pumped most of the water out I cleaned the last bit out by scooping it into a pail. There was a lot of coarse sand on the bottom, I probably should have saved it and run it through a gold pan,,,, but I didn't. I just scooped it out with the water and handed it up to one of my kids and he dumped out somewhere. :down:

However I still have a chance to find some gold, there are a bunch of old mine shafts around here. I was actually in one today and it was very interesting. It's in the backyard of a local guy I met and he took me on an impromptu tour. I'm planning on taking my camera next time. :)

shedlights.gif

Carbon_Liberator, how many cord does your shed hold?

Stevebass4 said:
Carbon_Liberator, how many cord does your shed hold?

Steve it was designed to hold 6 cord, each 8ft wide X 32" deep X 6ft high section will hold precisely one cord, but because I wanted to keep the one section, where I found the underground room, open and accessible , I decide to use it to store some tools (rakes, shovels, brooms, etc...) and the garbage cans. So the shed can only accommodate 5 cord now.

We have a secret room with access under the bathroom rug.
It's where I'll keep my bars of precious metals so mum's the word.

Very cool space , I remembered the storage shed as soon as I saw the start of the video. I really like the way it is designed I might even try to incorporate some of those ideas when build some of my own. I don't think I can dig out a room like that but yours is quite nice.

Hey Carbon,
That wood shed just keeps getting better. :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.