Does anyone have NFCS running with one-wire sensors yet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Medman

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2008
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
I have been rolling around different control schemes in my head for a while now, and what I really want to do is best accomplished with the technologics board that NoFossil is using. But I have about 30 of the Dallas one-wire temp sensors and I would like to use a large number of them in my system, to monitor and control at least 8 outputs. I'm thinking that the arduino board doesn't have the number of inputs, outputs, or memory to be able to poll all the sensors and control the system, or else the code might be too large to fit in the arduino's memory. I want to log data as well.

So, has anyone gotten the NFCS board to run with one wire sensors yet? Am I wrong in thinking that the Arduino won't be able to handle 15 temp sensors, 3 or 4 thermostat (on/off) inputs and control 8 discrete outputs (relays for pumps, zone valve controls, etc)?

I can't answer the questions about the Arduino, but I might be at least somewhat qualified to answer the NFCS question ;-)

To my knowledge, no one is currently using 1-wire sensors with the NFCS. I've written code and proved it in alpha test, but only via the third-party HA7net unit. That seems solid and dependable, but the HA7net device adds enough cost so it's not a wildly exciting option.

I just purchased a DS2490 USB to 1-wire interface and I'm looking at trying to cross-compile the necessary code to get it working on the Technologics board. No promises, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.