Does anyone know how to operate this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Prevch

Oct 22, 2022
Wisconsin
I found an old wood stove in an outbuilding that I am going to put in my basement for emergency use in the event that we lose power. It is apparently made by E.K. Industries. I haven't been able to find much info on them, but I did see another post in this forum that someone else had a stove by E.K., but it does not look like mind. I am posting pictures here.

On the right had side of the stove (if you are facing the front of it) there is a contraption that has a peg in the middle of several holes and to the right and up and down arrow labeled high and low. A chain then runs from that unit down to a small bar that sticks out that looks like it can be flipped one way or the other. I am assuming this has to do with how much air intake comes in, but when I mess with the contraptions, nothing seems to move all that much.

It appears that the stove originally came with a blower, but that part was not in the outbuilding. I cleaned it up and painted, looks half way decent now, but any information anyone could provide related to the background, operation, and maintenance of this stove would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

20221022_095923.jpg 20221022_095928.jpg 20221022_101310.jpg 20221022_101318.jpg 20221022_101323.jpg 20221022_101335.jpg 20221022_101339.jpg 20221022_101351.jpg

It has a thermostatically operated air control that is missing its knob. In a pinch, a small pair of vice grips could be clamped on the shaft for testing. The metal plates in the door may have been a replacement for ceramic stove glass or maybe an option? Regardless, they are leaky based on the visible gaps.

Reactions: Prevch
It has a thermostatically operated air control that is missing its knob. In a pinch, a small pair of vice grips could be clamped on the shaft for testing. The metal plates in the door may have been a replacement for ceramic stove glass or maybe an option? Regardless, they are leaky based on the visible gaps.
Thanks! Where is the stove supposed to draw fresh air in from?

That I am not sure of. Operating that lever at the bottom of the chain is opening an air intake flap. My guess is that this may be located underneath the stove.

That I am not sure of. Operating that lever at the bottom of the chain is opening an air intake flap. My guess is that this may be located underneath the stove.
Yeah, I could not see it which was frustrating. I will keep messing around with it. Thank you for your help

You were correct! 7 holes on the bottom of the stove. Picture attached for anyone else interested

20221022_180656.jpg

Is there a baffle in the stove?

Empty that stove of its bricks and clean it out real good and then take some pictures inside and out of the stove. Close-ups and further away. Turn the stove on its side and take pics of the bottom too.

I want to see how that bi-metallic is closing off the air supply. Why? I’m a little concerned for you about its design. One would assume it to be functionally safe, but it may not be…and if the design isn’t safe then using the stove could potentially spell disaster.

Bi -metallics thermostats on stoves, at least this one and similar types (Hitzer, DS) tend to function mechanically so that if something fails the stove shuts off the air supply shutting down the stove. That should be the case here as well, but we’ll need to see it to be sure so that you and your family remains safe.

Reactions: 1kzwoman and Prevch
OP checking this will require looking up into the top of the stove and taking a picture.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen one of these stoves.

Almost looks like a cross between an old Earth Stove and a Wonder Warm (Dunham Lier).

A general observation is houses have gotten burned down by "emergency stoves". There are no special rules for "emergency use", its either a safe or an unsafe install. Assume its an unlisted stove unless its got a rating tag on the back with clearances and make sure that the "emergency" installation meets the NFPA specs for unlisted stoves and that includes the chimney and flue pipes. Emergency installations frequently are fed with "emergency wood", unless you have a source of seasoned dry wood at hand, the temptation is to try to burn what is on hand and inevitably without a wood supply for many that is green wood. If you do get it installed safely, consider an emergency supply of compressed saw wood bricks, keep them wrapped up and in a dry place and they will last a long time.

I expect a lot of folks due to the price of heating oil and natural gas are going to using "emergency" sources of heating this winter and no doubt there will be more than a few news stories of people standing in front of a piles of ashes that was their home. :(

Sorry if this is stupid, but what is a baffle?
Empty that stove of its bricks and clean it out real good and then take some pictures inside and out of the stove. Close-ups and further away. Turn the stove on its side and take pics of the bottom too.

I want to see how that bi-metallic is closing off the air supply. Why? I’m a little concerned for you about its design. One would assume it to be functionally safe, but it may not be…and if the design isn’t safe then using the stove could potentially spell disaster.

Bi -metallics thermostats on stoves, at least this one and similar types (Hitzer, DS) tend to function mechanically so that if something fails the stove shuts off the air supply shutting down the stove. That should be the case here as well, but we’ll need to see it to be sure so that you and your family remains safe.
Ok will check it out. Thank you!

Last edited:
A general observation is houses have gotten burned down by "emergency stoves". There are no special rules for "emergency use", its either a safe or an unsafe install. Assume its an unlisted stove unless its got a rating tag on the back with clearances and make sure that the "emergency" installation meets the NFPA specs for unlisted stoves and that includes the chimney and flue pipes. Emergency installations frequently are fed with "emergency wood", unless you have a source of seasoned dry wood at hand, the temptation is to try to burn what is on hand and inevitably without a wood supply for many that is green wood. If you do get it installed safely, consider an emergency supply of compressed saw wood bricks, keep them wrapped up and in a dry place and they will last a long time.

I expect a lot of folks due to the price of heating oil and natural gas are going to using "emergency" sources of heating this winter and no doubt there will be more than a few news stories of people standing in front of a piles of ashes that was their home. :(
Thanks for the info. Thankfully, I do have LOTS of seasoned, dried hard wood, but I hear ya, safety first.

Reactions: 1kzwoman