Does anyone see an issue with this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wwpayne

Dec 13, 2020
Pittsburgh
Hi,
I have a Heat n Glo mezzo linear fireplace that is direct vented outside through basement wall . I'm adding a heat out kit to it which is basically 6 inch flex and 350 cfm fan mounted outside house and draws extra heat from around firebox. Any issue in making this well a little wider and mounting 8 inch or so next to the exhaust vent? My entire basement is sub terrain and of course completely finished. Thoughts? Appreciate any input

outside fireplace.jpg outside fireplace 2.jpg

You will have to look at the installation manual for the
Heat Out Management System. Installing the Vent Cap'
too close to the combustion air intake may compromise
the Air-to-Fuel ratio & create sooting issues in the firebox.

Appreciate the thoughts. The installation instructions of the heat out fan say it can be mounted 6 inches to the side from the Fireplace output. My concern was more of it being sub ground level along with the exhaust(within the well). The manual says nothing about it being installed this way. The manual appears to only give guidelines when exhaust is 12 inches min. above ground level. The exhaust was originally install by professional fireplace company, I inherited it.

In order to meet that 12' requirement, that window well
might have been the only option. There are snorkel caps,
which are taller, but they can't be used unless they are
approved for use in the installation manual...
If I remember, I will talk to one of the installers tomorrow &
see what he says...

How much snow do you get where you live? Generally those vents are min 2' above grade

How much snow do you get where you live? Generally those vents are min 2' above grade
Just a few inches of snow per year here. while the fireplace exhaust is in well. the well is fairly deep. 8 inches from bottom of vent to well bottom.
I have a mason coming out today to look at possibility of placing this heat vent on outside of chimney about 24 inches above ground level. My only concern with this idea is getting 6 inch flex line down to the basement and chimney foundation.

I dunno that would never fly in my location. Google says Pittsburg averages 28" per year. Also concern for leaf buildup etc