Q&A Does Coal leave a film in the house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

we are buying a house that has a coal stove in the family room. they use it to heat their whole house. they said they use a nut coal. i'm not sure what that is or if it is the same as anthracite as i have read so much about that. is it really clean? does it leave a film on your house as i have been told? can you use any coal in a stove. they have a buck stove i believe. also, how do you clean out the stove at the end of the season? as you can see i know nothing about this but am just trying to get educated before we move in.

Answer:

Chances are that the stove in question burns anthracite or hard coal. This is the cleanest coal made, and if handled and burned correctly should be clean. You need a certain design of stove in order to burn coal well. The Buck stove will not work. Shaker grates, an ashpan and the precise layout of the air intake are very important with coal.

You should have the stove cleaned, checked and serviced by a chimney sweep who is familiar with the brand name.

Status
Not open for further replies.