Does Lopi have solid doors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Spotted Owl

Nov 5, 2009
Oregon, coast range
Just like the title asks.

Do they make a solid door? Seems like the factory and dealers don’t understand the question. They turn it into an opportunity to use the big glass as a selling point. I understand it’s not normal, but a solid door is important if at all possible.

Thanks

Owl

Just out of curiosity, why do you prefer a solid door? For durability reasons?

I like being able to see the fire through my glass doors so I can keep the stove burning nicely.

I’ve seen picture of glass replaced by a piece of steel. Probably could get a shop to cut the right size out if 1/4” plate???? Sand and paint with stove paint. Drolet is the only manufacturer I’ve seen with any solid doors. There very well could be others.

No, Lopi has not had steel doors for decades. It is not a common request at all. I think this is the first time I have heard it here.

Steel plate could be cut, but it should match the thickness of the glass which is typically 4-5 mm thick. It might need stiffeners to avoid warpage.

Drolet would be the best option. They have a couple of small stoves (Fox and the tent stove Hunter) with steel doors and a big one (Black Stag II).

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoytman
If the door frame is steel then welding in a chunk of plate would be like hitting the easy button. For some reason I was thinking the door frames are cast, I’m not good enough to join mild and cast together.

I’ve been running a Fisher Papa since the Liberty died in ‘09, and before the Oregon clean air law kicked in. Kind of particular about a very dark house at night. Fire flickering at night is nice to see and relaxing to watch, but it will also keep or wake me up. When the family was still at home and there was a wife around the glass was required.

Slowly been looking to upgrade. The new Liberty is the only thing I have an eye for to this point.

Owl

The door frame on most stoves is cast iron. The glass is gasketed and held in by clips.

Take a look at the Drolet Black Stag II. Its like their Austral III without the glass. While not as fancy as a Liberty, it is a time-proven, reliable design and a good heater with a big belly.

Reactions: Hoytman
Here is a solution to a dark house at night,lol

51PFA3StdHL._AC_SY780_.jpg

I would not be able to tune my burn as well if I couldn’t see the fire.

I wonder if high temp paint would survive the heat.

Paint, as in painting the glass? That’s a good thought. I’ll look into that.

Thank you

Owl

Just ask my wife to run the stove for a few nights. Guaranteed to have the glass as black as you need it.