Does Santa have to replace my compressor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lobsta1

Sep 6, 2007
Eastern Ma.
Was cleaning up my 034 with the air hose tonight. I found I had a serious problem on my compressor. It is a 4 year old CH with 3 pistons doing the compression. It delivers 15 cfm at 90 psi & has a 100% duty rating for 7000 hours. I probably have about 500 intermittent hours on it. I could only get up to 100 psi & the compressor kept running. I found 1 piston blowing very hot air out the filter & not sucking air in like the other 2 cylinders.

Does this mean the whole thing is trash or is it a ring sticking on that cylinder? If it is a ring (how do I find out?) how involved do you think it would be to fix? Are we talking about boring & sleeving that cylinder? Any ideas?
Thanks Al

Bondo said:
I could only get up to 100 psi & the compressor kept running. I found 1 piston blowing very hot air out the filter & not sucking air in like the other 2 cylinders.

Ayuh,... I'd sooner think the Check Valve is trashed...
If you're Handy enough, you can take it apart,+ replace whatever's Broken...
Parts are available for about Any compressor on line.... Google is your friend...

I would agree, sounds more like a bad check valve than a ring issue, especially if the crankcase isn't blowing lots of pressure.

Should be repairable, I would say pull the head on the bad cylinder, and see what there is to see...

Gooserider

My compressor stopped refilling (just kept running) and I took apart the head. Found it had eaten a gasket under the head. Cut one with old gasketmaker cork and it was good as new. Take it apart an take a look. Can't really hurt it.

Some have reed valves like a 2stroke that can build up dirt or carbon from crank oil. You should be able to clean them if that is the problem

Downloaded the parts breakdown & suggested trouble shooting guide. Guide suggested for the symptoms either a broken valve (reed valve pack) or a blown gasket separating the intake filter side of the head from the
output side. Pulled the head cover off & found a piece of the gasket missing. The valve pack was really stuck on the head so I did not mess with that. Could not see anything visibly wrong, but will order one anyway.
Al

Status
Not open for further replies.