Does this F400 need recementing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EbS-P

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2019
SE North Carolina
Hi,

I’m cleaning out my Father-in-law’s F400. Pulled the baffle back plate and firebrick. The cement is cracking out where it was gobbed on. It sees periodic use, real cold snaps and power outages, guessed about 1/2 cord this winter. It was installed over 10 years ago.

Can you tell just by looking if it needs cement or do you need to leak check while it’s running?

Here are a couple pictures. Photos show the back corners and then the right side. I left the back plate on the floor so it’s in the bottom of pictures.
Thanks, Evan

023F6A65-04BA-43B7-AC29-10A222FC41BF.jpeg 52479F34-5FA9-4C45-86D7-D8E8A576B3D8.jpeg 57741115-4FC5-4FD6-9F75-598CFC84E868.jpeg

Jotul uses a high-quality refractory cement on the seams. The gobs are ooze after the pieces are joined. It may not need resealing. In a dark room, take a bright light and shine it on the seams from the inside while checking on the outside for light leaks.

Reactions: jotulguy
It’s fine, what you are seeing is slag cement that oozed out when the panels were cemented together.