Does unseasoned wood produce more ash than seasoned?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

enchant

Nov 5, 2016
Marshfield, MA
This season, I'm burning wood that was cut only last April (yes, I know I should be burning more seasoned wood, but it is what it is). I'm finding that I'm digging a LOT more ash out of my stoves this season than in seasons past. Is this likely due to the fact that the wood isn't as dry as it should be?

Is this likely due to the fact that the wood isn't as dry as it should be?

It did with me 3 years ago when I did not know any better, especially when you turn down the air, I wish I had all of that Bradford pear back, felt like it was wasted burning it after 8 months.

Also different species of wood tend to leave more ash, (fluffy ash, not "charcoal") I find that red oak and hickory seem to leave 2 to 3 times more ash than maple and ash. I've heard black walnut seems to leave a lot of ash as well.

Thanks for the reply.

It's red oak, and it's very fluffy. When I start the fire in the morning, I have the air open to get it going and then to keep the fire pretty while my wife and I watching during coffee, but then I turn it down almost all the way for the duration of the day.