Does you fan have a thermistor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevreh

Dec 9, 2016
Virginia
I have a Napolean wood insert with a blower wired into a thermistor. The blower typically takes an hour to come on. Granted, I don't load the insert up and start with a raging fire or anything, but is this typical? I've thought of either removing it (then I would have to turn the fan off) or putting in one that starts at a lower temperature.

Thanks---

Most insert and stove blowers are series wired into a simple thermostatic snap switch which typically presses against the bottom or lower back of the stove body. This is so that the stove body fully warms up before the fan comes on. With a small fire in the insert it could take an hour to warm up the whole stove. One thing to check is to verify that the face of the snap switch is pressed firmly against the stove body. Sometimes they loosen and sometimes the mounting is a little flimsy.

You know, its interesting you mention that. When slid out the tray that the thermistor is mounted on, I noticed, and thought it was odd that, it was mounted on an angled piece of metal. I didn't see the point. I'm sure it wasn't touching the body of the fireplace. I'll slide it back out, and bend it up so it does.

Thanks for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.