Does your cat stove smoke?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
only when I load it and the cat is bypassed. Then it smokes just like a dragon... a lot. once engaged and hot...no smoke at all - only heat waves around the chimney

The surgeon General said that smoking is bad for your health so we made it stop right away. No smoking in our house.

Everyone will get smoke immediately when adding new wood, but that should not last long. In the colder weather you will no doubt notice some white smoke coming from the chimney but it dissipates fast. That is actually no more than condensation and nothing to be concerned about.

More to be concerned with is how much soot and creosote you are getting. Ours burns so clean we never even cleaned the chimney last year.

cstrail said:
only when I load it and the cat is bypassed. Then it smokes just like a dragon... a lot. once engaged and hot...no smoke at all - only heat waves around the chimney

Ditto.

If your smokes your burning temps may not be high enough (ie unseasoned wood) or you may need new cat combustors.

One cat is OK, but if i put two cats in there it really smokes. 12 hour burn though

One cat is OK, but if i put two cats in there it really smokes. 12 hour burn though

I knew when I saw the thread and who had replied ;-)

why do you say that? I only use seasoned cats

If your seeing smoke when your cat is engaged it may need replacing or a good cleaning. How long have you burned this one?

My stove is about a month old. I'm really thinking about a catalytic thermometer but I hate to make a hole in my refractory chamber. Has anyone put one on a 2550?

Status
Not open for further replies.