doh!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering...How does a METAL propane tank "catch on fire"?:eek:

Seems to me it was the DECK that actually caught on fire. (after vac melted) No?
:confused:

They said the tank hose was close to the vacuum and burned through. The hose/tank was hooked to a turkey fryer.

The funny thing about those turkey fryers not being safe is more to do with operator error. People use them only once a year and don't bother to read the instructions/warning.

Most common mistakes:

Wet turkey
Too much oil (so when you put the turkey in it causes the pan to overflow)
Using Indoors when it is clearly meant for outdoors... this includes using it in the garage in presence of gasoline fumes.

I just love it when a product is labeled unsafe when it's really the human.

Reactions: Jack Fate
ever seen what happen when a frozen turkey is dropped into a fryer?

its actually pretty kool (if you like fireworks) but insanely dangerous. we've used one for quite some time although ive taken more to smoking them than frying over the last several years

Great Video. Goes to my point exactly though... fire caused by too much oil and still at least partially frozen turkey. Also placed it on a wooden deck. The turkey fryer did not do any of these things, the human did. The human is unsafe not the fryer.

I know we are to leave the political stuff out of the forum but it's kinds of like the saying guns don't kill people, people kill people. Same idea. Maybe we need background checks for turkey fryers ;)

Reactions: Jack Fate
In case you haven't, take a look at this:

actually ive seen videos similar to this one , hadn't seen that one before, I could suggest to the manufacturers a modification to the pot which might help with overflow fires FWIW a simple shield setup around the pot could be devised to help carry the oil away from the burner im sure , but its still not the safest thing to use by far.

a simple way to prevent an overflow such as this would be to actually place the turkey in the pot add water to just cover the bird, remove the bird being careful not to spill the water out then note the level its filled to after the bird is removed, fill the pot with oil up to about 3/4" lower than where the water was this should put the right amount of oil for the bird when heated.

and for petes sake make damned sure the bird is fully thawed before you add it to that hot oil!

Also when using the water displacement method, make sure to fully dry the turkey before putting it in the oil as well.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
The funny thing about those turkey fryers not being safe is more to do with operator error.

Same as cars, chainsaws, nuclear weapons etc.

Reactions: Fifelaker
Status
Not open for further replies.