Dollar bill test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle19

Jun 17, 2010
Rockland County, NY
I have a question regarding the dollar bill test. I understand what it is and how to do it I was just wondering how tight of a seal do you guys consider to be tight? In other words do you guys put a bill into your doors and your not able to pull it out at all for fear of it ripping in half, or is a little resistance when pulling it out considered to be a successful test as well? I understand if you can pull it out easily obviously you have a problem. Just wanted to get your feedback. Thanks for the help.

You should feel some tension resistance when pulling on the bill. It should need a tug to come out. If the dollar comes out easily with little or no resistance, or drops down into the stove, that is a bad seal.

This is about the only thing I have done for a dollar since catching the wood stove addiction.

I was sorry to read that EPA has come out with a new regulation updating the standards for the dollar bill test. Since the dollar has been downgraded and is puny and weak it no longer gives good results. Now we will have to use a five. First the dictionary cord and now this. Where will it all end?

Status
Not open for further replies.