Dolmar Chainsaw Running rough on side/leaking gas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Catfish Hunter

Burning Hunk
Jun 14, 2016
Western Wisconsin
I bought a little PS32 for trimming. It has sat for maybe a month, probably less. Today I fired it up and when I gassed it up turned it back upright gas leaked out all over the place. Then it was running rough when it was on it's side, especially with the gas cap up. I am suspicious that the tank vent is having issue. Does anyone have any ideas? Also, has anyone cleaned the tank vent on a Dolmar? Is it in the fuel cap?

As a side note, it is warmer now and it is running really rich. I need to figure out how to adjust the carburetor and overcome the "dealer only" bs...

You sure you don't have a line cracked from ethanol? On some saws the factory limiter caps can be removed with a dry wall screw...dont have a clue about a Dolmar..never seen one.

1a48957e619e3d6b75abe886e5b8d3d8.jpg

I flipped the saw upside down and fuel was running out of the tank connection. Took it apart and the lines weren't even connected. Looks like maybe just loosely connected fuel lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 196990

I flipped the saw upside down and fuel was running out of the tank connection. Took it apart and the lines weren't even connected. Looks like maybe just loosely connected fuel lines.

I think I would be putting new lines on..

I think I would be putting new lines on..

Back up and running. I will keep an eye on those lines. I'm hoping they just didn't get out on all the way at the factory. But if that's the case I hope everything else got put together right [emoji53]

By the way the vent is above the gas cap. I found a repair manual online.

Back up and running. I will keep an eye on those lines. I'm hoping they just didn't get out on all the way at the factory. But if that's the case I hope everything else got put together right [emoji53]

Good deal! glad it was something simple!

I bought a brand new Dolmar 6400 that didn't oil at all, possibly due to a kink in the tubing of the oil filter. I took the whole saw apart trying to figure it out. Works great now though! The connection of the oil supply tubing to the oil pump is one of those "Whose idea was THAT?" things, though.

I posted pictures of the whole thing here if you are bored.

I bought a brand new Dolmar 6400 that didn't oil at all, possibly due to a kink in the tubing of the oil filter. I took the whole saw apart trying to figure it out. Works great now though! The connection of the oil supply tubing to the oil pump is one of those "Whose idea was THAT?" things, though.

I posted pictures of the whole thing here if you are bored.

I remember that post. I read it when I was looking into buying my 6100. And now with this incident it makes you wonder who is in charge of the oil and fuel line management. But overall no complaints with these saws.

just a note that it is possible to melt the plastic gears of the oil pump resulting in no oil feed also.

The one I pulled out was on a 6421 series dressed in Makita blue from HD.