Dolmar vs Husky vs Stihl

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willisl64

Apr 6, 2008
South Central IA
Hey there - I have a dolmar ps510 that is giving me headaches - saw is near new and keeps running lean on me, even though I mix the fuel extra rich...already stuck the piston once and had it replace under warantee (after only 1 cord of wood cut). Used the saw yesterday with no problems on 1 more cord, then it started acting up again today...I stopped before the piston stuck, but who knows...I am fairly new to cutting my own wood and am contimplating a new saw - Dolmar and Stihl have dealers in town, and I prefer the dolmar guy but am a little gun shy - Any advice on a 50cc or so saw? Also suggestions for a limbing saw would be appreciated...Thanks!

Sounds like something else is wrong on the saw, likely an air leak somewhere. I'd contact Dolmar and complain that you are still having issues after the warranty fix.

What saw oil are you using?

Are you using premium pump gas?

What mix ratio are you using?

Are you using fresh gas? Remember gas goes stale after 30 days and shouldn't be used, especially on a saw that is being broken in.

TMonter -
Problem with contacting Dolmar is that I bought the saw a year and a half ago, and only this year had to start using it for firewood - has been used a total of an hour before this season - so the warantee is technically up - My dealer pulled teeth with his rep and covered the last piston ring stick, but the factory says "too bad". I am using fresh premium fuel mixed with Dolmar oil, with .9 gallons of gas to 2.6oz of fuel, so slightly rich, per Dolmar's request. (They blamed the breakdown on not using their oil and Iowa having too much alcohol in our gas - but no one else seems to have my problems.) Dealer didn't do a leak test last time, but he's going to have to now...I assume. I like the way my saw operates when it works, it seems well balanced and performs well, but with only a few hours in the evening to get wood cut, and hay season sneeking up, breakdowns on near new equipment frustrates me.

If there is something I could be blatantly doing wrong to cause these problems Computeruser, please enlighten me...it acted up this morning while cutting 4 to 8 inch rounds of elm, nothing terribly demanding, using a freshly sharpened chain.

Thanks

'rich/lean' is the air to fuel mix into the engine from carb, not the oil to fuel mix. Oil/gas ratio doesn't affect the air to fuel mix (technically it does by a VERY minute amount, not going into that discussion).

you likely have an air leak, else carb is adjusted too lean. The dealer should have searched and solved it originally.

It's a good saw, I'd stay on it to solve the issues.

Problem with contacting Dolmar is that I bought the saw a year and a half ago, and only this year had to start using it for firewood - has been used a total of an hour before this season - so the warantee is technically up - My dealer pulled teeth with his rep and covered the last piston ring stick, but the factory says “too bad”. I am using fresh premium fuel mixed with Dolmar oil, with .9 gallons of gas to 2.6oz of fuel, so slightly rich, per Dolmar’s request. (They blamed the breakdown on not using their oil and Iowa having too much alcohol in our gas - but no one else seems to have my problems.) Dealer didn’t do a leak test last time, but he’s going to have to now...I assume. I like the way my saw operates when it works, it seems well balanced and performs well, but with only a few hours in the evening to get wood cut, and hay season sneeking up, breakdowns on near new equipment frustrates me.

I understand your pain and frustration but it sounds like your dealer did go to bat for you. I'd take the saw back to him, carefully explain and have him re-tune the saw and try a few cuts and then re-check it. If it's an air leak it should be pretty hard to keep it adjusted. If you're polite and calm about the whole thing most dealers are willing to work with you. One of my neighbors had issues with a saw a while back and even with it out of warranty the dealer got the mfr to step up and repair the saw which had an obvious defect.

I would certainly ask the dealer to do the leak-down test to be sure, at the very least around the carb intake area.

Also it sounds like the fuel/air mix on the carb is set lean and should be richened up. Remember most newer saws are set a bit lean from the factory (For EPA Reasons) and should be checked.

The advice on visiting Arboristsite.com is good advice, people there have 10x my meager small engine knowledge.

Agreed with all the above - Dolmar is a good saw. The 510 is more of a 'homeowner" grade saw, the 5100 is the pro-grade model, but still a Dolmar consumer saw is closer to the pro-grades than most of the other brand consumer models... look for air leaks, check for your fuel air ratio, and check the engine speed, there are probably other issues with the saw besides the sticky piston. Sounds to me like something is making the saw run way leaner than it should be.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.