Domestic coil tie in to tankless water heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flem

Dec 12, 2009
Western MD
Is it possible to tie in an Ecosmart tankless water heater passed my boiler's domestic coil? I was thinking about shutting the oil boiler off during warm months and just use it to heat the domestic water when it is already fired up during colder months. Make any sense?

I would plumb it in a series / parallel configuration with extra isolation valves so you can easily run it either way.

It would be ok to run the DHW through the furnace coil first, and then let it's output feed the Ecosmart (as a backup function) during heating season. I would not run it this way when the boilers is off line though, your cold incoming water will cause bad condensation in the oil boiler.

During oil boiler off periods, bypass the boilers coil and run your cold feed directly to the Ecosmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.