donated morso 1125

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

koa97

Oct 15, 2008
hi
Hi, Some friends want to give me a morso 1125 stove which has never been used. It would be going into a new which is still under construction, and money is short. I have heard some fairly good things about this stove on the forum, but what I eventually want is an EPA type with high efficiency and window. But the cost difference is hard to ignore.

So... Can I install a 6" pipe and chimney with a 8" converter now, so that when I have the money for a new stove I can keep the chimney unchanged? (the morso uses 8" I believe, and the modern stoves all seem to prefer 6" , right?)

The house is a 1.5 story 800 ft studio cottage with loft. House has cathedral ceiling, and the chimney will be installed near the peak at about 21' above the floor. Location is at 4000' elevation in the Hawaiian islands . Winter nights get into the 40s. So the burn pattern will be like most area's spring/ fall conditions. Mostly to take the chill off and keep the place from getting too damp, it will be my only source of heat. I will be burning eucalyptus which is abundant on the property.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Lucky you, this is a nice Morso. Considering you will be using this primarily as a chill chaser, I'd build for it permanently. You will probably never need another stove. It's a good heater and 8" pipe is required to do it right, especially if you desire to use it as a fireplace too. FWIW, this is a big radiant heater. It's overkill for the application, but a free new stove is hard to turn away.

BeGreen said:
Lucky you, this is a nice Morso. Considering you will be using this primarily as a chill chaser, I'd build for it permanently. You will probably never need another stove. It's a good heater and 8" pipe is required to do it right, especially if you desire to use it as a fireplace too. FWIW, this is a big radiant heater. It's overkill for the application, but a free new stove is hard to turn away.

Thanks, I relly don't want to build for it permanently because when I can afford it, a low smoke small high efficiency stove is preferred. Won't the tall chimney provide good draft even at 6"?

Or if I do go with a 8" pipe now, then how badly will it affect my performance when I do upgrade?

Or I could give it a pass and wear thick sweats for the next couple of years.

I can't tell you how it will perform with the 6" pipe. Its behavior will also depend on the temperature difference between outside and inside. My guess is that there'll be some smoke spillage when the doors are opened for refeeding, etc. But considering you have the stove for free, it won't hurt to try.

What about using an 8" Class A ceiling support and pipe through the roof w/ 8" single wall stove pipe from the stove to that point. Then later reducing to 6" inside (possibly Dbl wall) with the 8" above the roof. It would talk two brushes to clean, but you will have the 8" brush already, probably could even "line the top section if necessary.

Morso is good, a free Morso is better.

Garett

A friend of mine has a couple of these stoves and they are AWESOME. It puts out some good heat and appears to be extremely durable in terms of paint finish and all that. Nice score for sure! Enjoy the stove...

I would not use that stove with a 6" pipe - the door opening is too big - and it will very likely smoke out the doors. It is also against code to downsize the piping. You must use the 8" all the way - single from the stove to the ceiling and double from the ceiling support up.

If you are not going to install this stove safely, it would be better to sell it or put it into storage....and get something with a 6"

G-rott said:
What about using an 8" Class A ceiling support and pipe through the roof w/ 8" single wall stove pipe from the stove to that point. Then later reducing to 6" inside (possibly Dbl wall) with the 8" above the roof. It would talk two brushes to clean, but you will have the 8" brush already, probably could even "line the top section if necessary.

Garett

I talk to my brushes they don't do anything, they just lay there. :)

ROYJ24 said:
G-rott said:

Garett

I talk to my brushes they don't do anything, they just lay there. :)

You have to get really close to those little yews to hear them.

Status
Not open for further replies.