Don't eat (or inhale) microplastics?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

woodgeek

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2008
SE PA
We discuss microplastics a bit around here, couldn't find the relevant mega-thread, so started a new one.

New study dropped last week that found 'nanoplastics' (sub-micron microplastics) in human arterial plaques. :eek:
In about 50% of patients. Following those patients with nanoplastics, they did less well than those patients without.

video here:

Gil is quite level headed and sober... unlike Sabine.

This is just the first study... there will certainly be more in the future now. Not clear how the nanoplastics got into the bloodstream.

I have poo-poo'ed microplastics in the past (in response to a lot of very poorly motivated hype in social media). This post is my penace for my earlier skepticism.

I think it comes especially from drinks in plastic bottles, unfortunately
Bottled water is often tainted, the theory being that the filters are shedding tiny plastic fragments. That is one of the sources but it is also airborne and showing up on pristine mountaintops. A big concern is that some of these nanoparticles appear to be able to cross the brain/blood barrier. That may have troubling consequences.

While mulling that over, here is another wonderful gift from the food packaging industry.

Personally, I think the blood brain barrier is not a bigger deal than the chemicals they release while (anywhere) in our body. We likely all have micro-(nano-)scopic silica there as well, from eroding rock.

Small amounts of some of these chemicals can affect biochemistry (hormones etc).

Personally, I think the blood brain barrier is not a bigger deal than the chemicals they release while (anywhere) in our body. We likely all have micro-(nano-)scopic silica there as well, from eroding rock.

Small amounts of some of these chemicals can affect biochemistry (hormones etc).
nano-silica is biodegradable.

I thought that was mesoporous silica.

It depends a lot. See quote below.
But my main point was that we'll ingest a lot of nanoparticles into our bodies because they exist abundantly in nature too.

MSN is mesoporous silica nanoparticles.

The FDA has recognized silica as “safe” for over 50 years, which makes the hurdle for deeming MSN-based drugs as “safe” mainly dependent on the modifications and cargo of choice. Silica nanoparticles, without modifications, have two primary mechanisms for toxicity in the human body.46 The first mechanism is due to surface silanol groups becoming reactive on losing their hydrogens. The reactive Si–O- group causes membranolysis by reacting with the tetraalkylammonium-containing phospholipids58 on the cell membrane. The second mechanism is due to siloxane groups on the surface, forming three-membered siloxane rings, which are unstable and, hence, reactive. These reactive siloxane rings, like the silanol groups, can also cause membranolysis.59 The presence of silanols and siloxane groups on the surface of the MSNs is dependent on whether the surfactant was removed through calcination or ion-exchange during MSN synthesis. This makes knowing the synthesis route of your MSNs important when understanding potential toxicity of your MSNs. It is important to note that both mechanisms are dependent on the surface chemistry of MSNs. Targeting surface modifications will have an acute effect on toxicity and is important when designing new MSNs for drug treatment. Regardless of whether the surface is primarily silanols or siloxanes, the potential for toxicity at higher dosages is present.

Edit: it's nano crystalline quartz (also sio2..) that is cytotoxic. See those countertops mfgs.

Last edited:
Silica dissolves in alkali conditions, and I thought it did so (eventually) in the body. Many naturally occurring minerals other than silica do not.

Reactions: stoveliker
Bottled water is often tainted, the theory being that the filters are shedding tiny plastic fragments. That is one of the sources but it is also airborne and showing up on pristine mountaintops. A big concern is that some of these nanoparticles appear to be able to cross the brain/blood barrier. That may have troubling consequences.

While mulling that over, here is another wonderful gift from the food packaging industry.
not just the filters, but the containers themselves, caps especially, they are not stable

Reactions: stoveliker