Door gasket replacement dollar bill test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

neverstop

Feeling the Heat
Oct 11, 2020
new hampshire
Just replaced the door gasket. Should the gasket pass the dollar bill test before starting a fire and curing the adhesive?

Second time replacing it now, it's not sealing by the latch. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Should I try to keep the same side up around the entire door? It's round, but there's definitely a "wide" side that looks like it should fit in the channel better. That rolled over by the latch during this install.

Second time replacing it now, it's not sealing by the latch. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Should I try to keep the same side up around the entire door? It's round, but there's definitely a "wide" side that looks like it should fit in the channel better. That rolled over by the latch during this install.
What stove is this for?

New 2021 hearthstone Shelburne. Hinge got loose and the old gasket got rolled out of the channel.
Is the gasket from hearthstone? Did you adjust the latch?

This adjustment procedure was stolen from their latch replacement procedure, but should help you out.

PROCEDURE:
1) Open the front door. Locate the catch on the front panel of the stove. It is held to the front of the stove with two screws. Remove these screws with the cross-tip screwdriver, saving the screws for reuse.
2) Replace the removed catch with the one supplied in this kit. Before securing the catch, place the black oxide spacer provided in the kit behind the top hole on the new catch. With the spacer and catch held in this manner, attach them to the front of the stove using the screws previously removed. Tighten the catch to the front panel with the Cross-tip screwdriver.
3) Using the flat screwdriver, remove the back handle extension on the original handle. Save the handle and screw for reuse.
NOTE: It may be easier to complete the installation of the new latch if the door is removed and laid down onto a flat surface, like a table or workbench. To do this, lift the opened door straight up and off the stove.
4) Using the 5/32” hex wrench, turn out the two setscrews on the original latch on the stove. This will allow you to separate the latch pieces, remove them from the stove, and discard them.
5) Place two of the brass shim washers onto the shaft of the new, threaded latch. Insert this latch through the door. Position it so the brass shims and latch are on the inside and the threaded end of the latch shaft is coming through the door towards you.
6) Slip the large washer over the latch shaft on the outside of the door. This will protect the surface of the door (especially if enameled) from the wear of the latch.
7) Drop the coil spring onto the latch shaft on top of the washer installed in step 6. The coil will provide tension to the latch.
8) Now the new chrome crank can be threaded onto the latch shaft. Turn the chrome crank until there is approximately 1/8” of an inch between the chrome crank and the surface of the door. Do not turn the crank until it is flush to the surface of the door – doing so will defeat the function of the coil spring.
9) With the chrome crank properly spaced, turn it until the threaded hole on the side of the latch is aligned with the flat spot on the latch shaft. Start the setscrew into the hole and tighten in down to the shaft with the 5/32” hex wrench.
10) Place the black handle extension onto the newly installed latch assembly and secure it to the crank with the slotted screwdriver.
11) If the door was removed, return it to the stove now. Make sure the washers are returned to their original position between the door and frame hinge tabs when you replace the door.
Adjusting the latch: If the latch is too tight, separate the latch and crank and add one of the extra spacer washers to the two washers originally installed on the latch. If it is too loose, separate the latch and crank and remove of the brass washers from the latch shaft.

Is the gasket from hearthstone? Did you adjust the latch?
This adjustment procedure was stolen from their latch replacement procedure, but should help you out.
the first one i installed was, the second was a rutland 1/2" low density gasket i bought at homedepot. comparing the 2 gaskets they are identical. I did not adjust the latch as I don't have any additional spacers to reduce the compression. After letting it sit latched overnight I'm able to easily latch the door (comparable to previous gasket). It passes the dollar bill test on the other 3 sides of the door, just not on the side of the latch.

I thought I included this in my post last night, but the gasket "rolled" during install on the latch side. As I was trying to explain even though the gasket is "round" there is definitely a side that looks like it is supposed to be facing up during install. So on the latch side instead of facing up it rolled and is facing the glass. Looking at how the door compressed the gasket it shifted it towards the latch.

Sounds like hinge side is too tight? I wonder if there are spacers to move the hinge, I'm not familiar with this model stove.

Either way, best to get it right before burning. Don't let the purchase of a few shims get in your way.

Sounds like hinge side is too tight? I wonder if there are spacers to move the hinge, I'm not familiar with this model stove.

Either way, best to get it right before burning. Don't let the purchase of a few shims get in your way.
yes; i'm not burning until i get the door seal figured out.