Door gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Trey1979

Feeling the Heat
Sep 20, 2018
Mississippi
Is there anything i can do to stop this gasket from unwinding

Attachments

• 20191104_215650.jpg
    20191104_215650.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 187
Work some silicone gasket maker from the auto parts store into it? Many stoves use it to hold in the door gasket. Get the copper stuff, or something else with a high temp rating.

The gasket it toast, bet a new one. Silicone only works when behind gasket.

The gasket it toast, bet a new one. Silicone only works when behind gasket.
Thats what mine looked like at the ends when I got it from the store where I originally bought the stove ?.....they had it in bulk and cut to length.

The answer might be to cut with an extra sharp tool to a length a hair over the length needed so that there are no frayed ends butted up together with the gasket cement. The trick might Bebe to make the cut withou freeing the end. Again would have to be a very sharp tool. Or maybe a different type of gasket material. Just my thoughts.

Is there anything i can do to stop this gasket from unwinding
The fraying appears normal and the gasket shouldn't unwind under normal conditions. Usually, you hide the ends out of sight where they will receive the least amount of mechanical force like at the hinge of a door. Stove cement might make the ends look better if that is important to you. But the fraying won't affect the function of the seal.

Thats what mine looked like at the ends when I got it from the store where I originally bought the stove ?.....they had it in bulk and cut to length.
At the ends is not so bad. At some point, one end should butt into the side of the gasket at the other end, or some manufacturers put a pc of fiberglass "coupler" over where the two ends meet. If it is frayed or shredded at the middle, not much can be done about it accept adjust for snug fit or replace.

I'd just take some scissors and trim off the fraying if it bothers you or leave it alone. A year-old gasket should have several years life left.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman