Door hinge pins

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

awglx

Sep 10, 2013
CT
Correct me if I'm wrong but are the door hinge pins and or the hinge holes tapered? Pins seized and sheered off on the old stove I am working on. Any Ideas? I have been soaking them but they don't want to come out and If I break the hinge Its game over.
Thanks

I don't believe they were tapered, although it's been a number years since I rebiuilt & older VC unit..
If I were trying to get sheared pins out, & something like PB Blaster wasn't loosening them, I'd drill em out.
Start with a small diameter bit, maybe 1/16", & gradually work up to close to the pin diameter. You'll
get it to a point where it'll just break free. Your biggest worry is walking the drill off the pin & onto the
softer cast iron. If you're careful, you should be successful...

I may have to do that somehow but they are sheered off in the hinge on the front plate also. Can't even get the drill bit to line up with the hole because the drill hits the stove. I am spraying parts I cant soak with PB blaster multiple times a day.

Heat. Heat. and more heat.

Reactions: fbelec
I was going to try that as well. Most of them would be easier to tap down to get them out that's why I asked about tapper. Thank you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.