door open fire screen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

argus66

Feeling the Heat
Dec 9, 2007
central coastal nj
now i looked all around the site and cant really find a answer, on my jotul fc3b it came with a screen to have fires with door open, can this be done or is just a way to send heat right up the chimeny and not into the house? what if it is a little warmer out and i want the house not so hot or warm is it then a good idea to open the door and use screen? what is the point in the screen if it can never be used? i kind of like the idea of occasionally having a fire with door open do i need to have a window open or a fan on in another room to help? thanks

If the stove has good draft, the screen should work fine. But the point of it is to provide a more fireplace like exposure to an open fire; it's not to improve the stove as a heater. Anytime the fire is wide open to the room it is going to suck room-heated air up the stack as the fire burns and particularly as the fire cools down. But in warmer weather this may not be an issue. So if you've got it and want to use it, go ahead. There should be no need to open a window or run a fan, it will either work well or it won't. If the stove spills smoke out the front due to poor draft then it might be a good idea to address that anyway.

thanks thats kind of what i thought how do i get good draft? is something that will just be there or is it something i have to work for? thanks

Good draft comes with good flue design. Can you describe the flue on the stove? If you don't get smoke spilling out of the front of the stove when you go to fill it, then you probably have good draft.

flue is gonna be strait up from top of stove and out roof house is just small ranch. 1000 sq ft. was orginallly in market for full fireplace but started looking at stoves and reading on here pushed me to stove but still like idea of open door burn from time to time so its like fire place.

Status
Not open for further replies.