Door seal question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lastfling

Dec 14, 2021
NC
I replaced the gasket on the door to my stove recently. Upon inspecting today the latch side of door is not sealing but the other 3 sides are. This is based on a dollar bill test. What are.the possible solutions ? Can another strip of insulation be added to this side to gain a seal?
Thanks

Not uncommon for a stove latch to be adjustable for door tension. Worth a peek. What make/model is your stove?

I replaced the gasket on the door to my stove recently. Upon inspecting today the latch side of door is not sealing but the other 3 sides are. This is based on a dollar bill test. What are.the possible solutions ? Can another strip of insulation be added to this side to gain a seal?
Thanks
Most wood stoves I am aware do have a way of adjusting / tightening the door, this is usually indicated and explained in your user manual, most respectable stove manufacturers offer an archive of PDF manuals going back 20 - 25 years and sometimes more should you not have yours.

This is an older Appalachian insert. The latch is not adjustable that I see. Also the manual does not address.
Thanks

Old is relative LOL, but in the stove world probably so. This is a 36BW CIRCA 1987 - one of the early catalyst models. As a work around I had some high temp flat lid gasket for my big green egg grill that I cut to size and overlayed on the gasket that’s there. It appears to have rectified the problem for now. We’ll see after I fire the stove up this evening.

1987, it is 35 years old or so, an old choker.
I'm offended - if 35 is old, what about me...

Regarding overlaying another gasket: this might create air holes at the two points where this overlaying gasket ends (because they can't/won't be compressed to zero thickness - they are not feathered out). Keep checking your door/window there for creosote deposition, or flames there feeding off of extra oxygen.
Can also use incense (or any smoking thing) holding near the stove while a fire is burning to see if the smoke from the incense is sucked in, indicating a leak.

Thanks - I’ll keep an eye on it. It for sure can’t be any worse than it was. I’ll do the smoke test too - to see if there are additional leaks

As for old - if 37 is old. I’m ancient 😊. This has been a good stove for me and still does consistent 8 - 10 hour burns on a load.

It was an early clean burner and a laudable effort by Appalachian.

Thanks - I’ll keep an eye on it. It for sure can’t be any worse than it was. I’ll do the smoke test too - to see if there are additional leaks

As for old - if 37 is old. I’m ancient 😊. This has been a good stove for me and still does consistent 8 - 10 hour burns on a load.
Obviously 37 years old strictly applying to wood stoves not to its owner ;) :) .