Double sided fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pkiernan24

Feb 9, 2023
Philadelphia
Hi everyone, we have a double sided/ see through wood burning fireplace with glass doors on both side. One of the sides is in a kitchen addition (long before we moved in) so we think the flue was never adjusted for 2nd side. Searching through the posts on here, my understanding is we would be able to add a gas insert in one side. Leaving the glass doors on the other side looking at the back of the insert or sheet metal if we choose. The first dealer we reached out to, who is highly recommended and we like, will not put it in a gas insert unless we completely close or the one side of the fireplace we will not be using. The dealer will not budge. Should we comply and close off the one side or get second opinions from other dealers?

Get a second opinion. If there is some sort of code violation for what you want to do, the second opinion might verify that. AFIK, there's no violation if you did this in NY.

Get a second opinion. If there is some sort of code violation for what you want to do, the second opinion might verify that. AFIK, there's no violation if you did this in NY.
Appreciate the response. I was hoping for your opinion as I respect your posts. I had an another dealer try to push ventless double sided. When I told them I would never do ventless, they asked why. I stated for obvious reasons already posted on this website, they said you can’t trust online posts. I laughed. I will only trust direct vent.

One option that is available- for a price - is to install inserts in BOTH sides. I have done this in the past. There is a DV cap available that will accommodate two inserts, & it works very well. Looks good, too.

One option that is available- for a price - is to install inserts in BOTH sides. I have done this in the past. There is a DV cap available that will accommodate two inserts, & it works very well. Looks good, too.
At first I wasn’t keen on inserts in both sides but I am warming up to the idea. ( Until I find out the $$$$ cost😀). The depth of our firebox is 38 inches so 2 small inserts let’s say 14 deep each might work. Would the intense heat from either unit affect the other? I guess not if you’ve already done it. I am checking with a local dealer who already provided a proposal for one side. Interesting enough the dealer proposed putting an electric insert in the other side.

I have an estimate from a dealer to install 2 DV inserts in our double sided fireplace. It’s pricey as one might expect. On the estimate, there is a charge for 2 inserts, understandable. But there is also a charge of quantity 2 for the installation of the 2 inserts and a charge of quantity 2 for running the electrical feed for blower. Seems kind of funny to charge for two when it will be one electrical feed for both units. I can always have an independent electrician complete the work. There is a small discount for installing multiple units at same time. I know you cannot speak to the costs a dealer charges but any comments you can provide would be helpful. I assume some dealers are up for negotiation? I will of course be getting more estimates.

One option you have is to search online for an NFI Certified Gas Technician. It may be possible for you to purchase the two units, the required colinear venting kits, the double dv cap & whatever accessories you want with the units & have the tech install for you. The tech might even get the units for a reduced price.

Hi - quick update. We had the back to back natural gas direct vent insert installed in August. It’s a traditional double sided wood burning masonry fireplace converted to gas double termination cap. Kozy Heat. 1950s rancher house. We started experiencing an issue with one of the inserts almost immediately. Turned it on and the flame was blue and would ghost out within a few seconds. Dealer wants to install insulation on the exhaust liners for both inserts going to the double termination cap. I have figured out a work around when the one insert won’t fire up, I turn the insert on first that has no issues. I wait an hour and then turn the insert having issues on and it works. I have tried this two times with success. The issues with the one insert don’t always present itself so I don’t always have to do this. Can someone give their opinion that insulating the liners will solve this issue? Thanks in advance

Hi - quick update. We had the back to back natural gas direct vent insert installed in August. It’s a traditional double sided wood burning masonry fireplace converted to gas double termination cap. Kozy Heat. 1950s rancher house. We started experiencing an issue with one of the inserts almost immediately. Turned it on and the flame was blue and would ghost out within a few seconds. Dealer wants to install insulation on the exhaust liners for both inserts going to the double termination cap. I have figured out a work around when the one insert won’t fire up, I turn the insert on first that has no issues. I wait an hour and then turn the insert having issues on and it works. I have tried this two times with success. The issues with the one insert don’t always present itself so I don’t always have to do this. Can someone give their opinion that insulating the liners will solve this issue? Thanks in advance
Insulating the liners helps increase the draft and minimizes cold start issues. Using a standing pilot (if it is an option on your unit) will also help.

Can you post a pic of the chimney caps? I’m thinking that one of the inserts is probably drawing in oxygen depleted combustion air from the other one’s exhaust. I would try putting a piece of sheet aluminum between the caps.

Kept forgetting to take the picture. Here is the chimney cap. We’ve been using a continuous pilot ever since first cold day. The pilot doesn’t seem to warm the flue enough for the one insert or so that is my hunch. We’ve been turning on the one insert that works every time first. After about 20 minutes we turn on the other insert and it works fine. Haven’t turned on the insert with issues without the other insert already on in about a week. I figure why bother since the flame will most likely lift off the burner and extinguish. In the short term we will continue this process although it’s not a long term solution. Next step the dealer wants to insulate the exhaust liners for both inserts.

IMG_0799.jpeg