Double sided wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LeahAM

Jan 21, 2022
Maryland
Hello all! New here and only about 1.5 years into wood stove use for heat. We have a 2600 square foot long skinny rancher. We have a stove insert in the bedroom to heat that side of the house, and a free standing jotul in the kitchen to heat the other side. These were installed in already existing areas and do a good job the majority of the time, however, the middle of the house is still cold when it’s below 30. In the middle of the house is a pass through fireplace that is very large. We learned that it was built as a single side and the previous owners blew through the other side but the flue and chimney is only sized for a single side so we weren’t able to burn fires without smoke filling up the room. We have since closed one side with a custom piece of glass and we can burn fires successfully but it’s really wasted heat. I’d like to remove the glass and put a double sided wood stove in here for actual heat and efficiency, but can’t find any in the US. Anyone know of any? Don’t want a fitted insert but a free standing stove with doors on both sides, like pictured here

DCA4482C-9966-4ECA-9724-FA66F4EF9EEA.jpeg

That looks like a UK stove. There are none sold in the US currently that I know of. Supreme sold the Vision a few years ago, but that has been discontinued.

The only double sided free standing stove I’ve ever seen is made by supreme fireplaces. I’m pretty they had to abandon the stove because of stricter requirements by the EPA.

Also note that in many jurisdictions a stove (solid fuel appliance) can't be installed in a bedroom.