Double wall pipe ceiling clearance question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjames

Sep 9, 2010
Upstate NY
So I bit the bullet and went with the double wall metalbestis pipe.

I have 1 question to pose and would love to hear your feedback as to the solution.

My install is going to be a straight run from a T6 up through a cathedral ceiling.

I am using the metalbestis telescoping pipe from the stove to the ceiling and it is where the telescoping pipe connects to the Cathedral "thimble" that I have my question.

From my drywall out to my shingles is about 22.5 inches. There are 2 sets of rafters. One for the roof, and one for the ceiling.

I have a metal plate to cover off on the inside.

My telescoping pipe says that it requires 6 inches of clearance and my thimble requires 2 inches.

Is is possible to extend the telescoping connection through the ceiling for the 4.5 inches that the thimble is short of, as long as I have 6 inches or greater clearance to all rafters/joists and drywall?

(I guess it is possible, so the real question is would there be a concern doing so....)

Or do they make a thimble that is 24 inches long vs. 18.

Or do I need to get a 12 inch chimney section to put on the bottom of the thimble that I then have to paint black to match the inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.