Double Wall Stove Pipe and Probe Thermometer.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fvhowler

Burning Hunk
May 4, 2018
Heart of NC
Is it normal for the inner wall to shift (move) independently from outer wall? After the pipe has heated up, I noticed the probe thermometer shifts to face slightly upward, meaning inner wall seems to have slipped down. When it cools down, I then pull the probe out, reinstall and and can move the inner wall back so thermometer sits flat against the outer wall. It feels like the inner wall has slipped and I can actually move it back into place. Weird...any ideas? Thanks.

The two walls do expand at different rates so the probe face will tilt. Mine always goes back to normal when cold. I actually use this tilt to know when she’s chooching a little too hard!

The two walls do expand at different rates so the probe face will tilt. Mine always goes back to normal when cold. I actually use this tilt to know when she’s chooching a little too hard!
Thanks for the response. I guess the difference I experience is using the probe to move the inner wall back in line with the outer wall. Mine does not return to normal after cooling. It feels like the inner and outer walls are separated because the outer wall does not move but the inner does. It may not be an issue but I may just take the pipe sections apart to see what's going on.