Double wall telescoping & thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mepellet

Minister of Fire
Aug 10, 2011
Central ME
Planning on purchasing all of my chimney/stove pipe pieces and accessories within the next day or so. I have a question that I was hoping all of you cord burning experts could help me out on. I am planning on using Selkirk Supervent & DSP Double Wall Stove Pipe because it is easily accessible to me and I like Selkirk products (Have a DT up & out setup on my pellet stove). I have 65" from the top of my stove to the ceiling. I also plan on installing a flue thermometer. The telescopic double wall stove pipe goes from 38" to 68". I also hope to clean the chimney system by using a Sooteater from the bottom up from inside since it will be a straight up installation with a 15 deg offset in the attic above the stove room.

Keeping all that in mind, should I just buy one telescopic double wall stove pipe and use that straight from the stove adapter to the ceiling support piece and install the flue thermometer in that? Or should I buy a 2 or 3 foot fixed length double wall stove pipe piece and install the flue thermometer in that and then put a telescopic double wall stove pipe section above that going up to the ceiling support piece?

What would look good, be easy to clean, and most importantly, be installed correctly?

Any ideas? Tips?

The long telescoping pipe will look the cleanest. No real reason to go the other way.

You're at 65" from the stove to ceiling, but you will get a few inches from the ceiling support protruding into the room, and then the adapter on the class A, and then more from the stove adapter.

Telescoping (1 piece).. It's just an extra layer to drill through for the Thermo. No worries. Clean look, and if you ever want to add a raised Hearth, or a different stove? The pipe will accommodate.

The long telescoping pipe will look the cleanest. No real reason to go the other way.

You're at 65" from the stove to ceiling, but you will get a few inches from the ceiling support protruding into the room, and then the adapter on the class A, and then more from the stove adapter.

Thanks Jeff. I forgot about the fact that the ceiling support will stick down a bit. I appreciate your advice.

Telescoping (1 piece).. It's just an extra layer to drill through for the Thermo. No worries. Clean look, and if you ever want to add a raised Hearth, or a different stove? The pipe will accommodate.
Thanks Dex. Glad to hear I can still put the probe thermo in the telescoping piece. Is the telescoping piece easy to disassemble or disconnect to run a sooteater up through the chimney from within the house? Where do you physically attach the telescoping piece? Top only? Middle only? Top & Bottom? Hmmm.

As always Dex, I appreciate all your help!

3 screws in the top, bottom, and I still put 3 in the middle. That way I always have the same 1/4" rise per foot on my horizontal. Otherwise, the weight of the horizontal will "Push" down on where they slip together. And that can cause problems at the joint/connection to the Class A/Thimble.

With you using a Straight up to the ceiling box? I doubt you would need the 3 screws at the slip joint, but I'd still put one or two there. I always think worst case scenario. I always want to veer to the side of caution/overkill. Better to be safe, than sorry.

Looking forward to pics

3 screws in the top, bottom, and I still put 3 in the middle. That way I always have the same 1/4" rise per foot on my horizontal. Otherwise, the weight of the horizontal will "Push" down on where they slip together. And that can cause problems at the joint/connection to the Class A/Thimble.

With you using a Straight up to the ceiling box? I doubt you would need the 3 screws at the slip joint, but I'd still put one or two there. I always think worst case scenario. I always want to veer to the side of caution/overkill. Better to be safe, than sorry.

Looking forward to pics

I disagree. The most important thing is to keep the telescoping section expanded so that it doesn't collapse and fall off at night. The three middle screws are the most important screws in this application. The expanding piece will be locked in on top and bottom by the stove and the ceiling box so I don't even put those screws in and have passed two inspections that way. You can't screw into the top and you can't screw into the bottom. Remember, this is double wall. Rules are different.

Reactions: mar13
Why can't you screw the bottom? Our DSP is.

I disagree. The most important thing is to keep the telescoping section expanded so that it doesn't collapse and fall off at night. The three middle screws are the most important screws in this application. The expanding piece will be locked in on top and bottom by the stove and the ceiling box so I don't even put those screws in and have passed two inspections that way. You can't screw into the top and you can't screw into the bottom. Remember, this is double wall. Rules are different.

Again, I used them at all 3 locations. Top, Bottom, and at the slip joint.

Why cant you put it in the bottom? I dont have Selkirk Double wall, but I have Simpson Doublewall and I can screw all 3 locations.

If you do the top and bottom, on a straight up install, the slip cant go anywhere? On a horizontal run, there is weight pushing down, so it is a must for screws there. There is actually holes in the outer pre drilled.

No matter the brand, the Installation manual for that particular brand trumps all. If they say its needed in just the middle? Then so be it? But I would want them at the top and bottom.

(My Doublewall needs an adapter that goes on the stove connection (also 3 screws there) and has pre drilled holes in every section at the ends.

I have telescopic straight up to the chimney connector, with an Osburn flue temp probe installed about 18 or 20" above the stovetop. No issue putting the temp probe in the telescopic pipe. I have forgotten to remove it when cleaning which pretty much mangled it once, but otherwise no problems. I asked the "which screws go where" questions here too. I have a DSP adapter that twist-locks into the bottom of the stainless chimney (which drops into the room a bit thru the cathedral ceiling support box). This adapter then attaches to the top of the double wall telescoping pipe with 3 screws. The telescopic pipe extends down over the collar. I put 3 screws in the middle (on Highbeam's advice if I recall, to prevent the pipe from slipping) - this is what the recent WETT guy expected to see too. No screws at the stove collar - based on advice from others including SBI support (who confirmed it was not required with double wall connector pipe).

Trying to extend or compress the telescoping pipe after a couple seasons is pretty difficult on this install - I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that it was drilled for a flue temp probe - it was always really tight even when new. I don't even bother now (easier to drop the baffle and run the brush into the stove).

Just remember to pull the probe thermometer out before cleaning.

Reactions: bag of hammers
Status
Not open for further replies.