Double Wall vs Flex Pipe For Chimney Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

victor

Sep 11, 2008
Maryland
Is there any advantage to using rigid straight double wall pellet pipe like that sold by DuraVent with a 5' flex piece at the bottom instead of running flex pipe the entire way up an existing masonry chimney? I'll be installing a fireplace insert pellet stove. Would the double wall help keep the flue gases hotter and provide a better draft or isn't this a factor with an exhaust fan in the stove?

I guess there will be a lot of people who like the flex pipe other ones will say go with the double wall rigid one.
You should be fine with either one. I really depends on your budget.
Rigid pipe is maybe nicer to clean etc. etc.
I have a flex pipe and it suits completely my needs. No issues at all.
Did not want to spend that extra money for something nobody sees and my Pellet Stoves could care less.

I went with the flex from the cleanout T up
to the rain cap. Preferred to have a one piece
set up from end to end. Just thought it would
be easier. It was definitely less $$ than rigid.
No problems running the nylon brush up there
for cleaning. If I had to do it again would do
it the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.