Double walled stove pipe requires more clearance for Englander stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure most of you old timers know this, but some new timers may not. When using double wall stove pipe (not chimney HT pipe or also called A type double or triple thick insulated Chimney pipe) It is essential that you realize that a doublewalled stove pipe produces more draft and as such it burns the stove much hotter.... The DVL clearance is still 6" from combustibles but the stove itself needs an extra 2 inches away from combustibles in addition to those given in most manuels.This is true for Englander Stoves and perhaps it doesn't apply to your particular stove. I have posted a link below to the the latest NFPA manual printed in 2006 and to buy it costs $38 but to view it is free. It cannot be copied, cut or pasted The next NFPA manuel doesn't come out until 2009. We have this link thanks to Mike on the staff of Englander stoves. Here is the link:

http://www.nfpa.org/aboutthecodes/AboutTheCodes.asp?DocNum=211&cookie;_test=1

Your will probably have to check mark the agree button on the site and perhaps even download the latest version of Java to get to this resource....Just do whatever it asks and you will have a viewable copy of the latest NFPA guidelines

Good tip for Englander owners. I find it a bit odd, but apparently this is the way the stove was tested. Many stoves with a double-wall flue and rear heat shield reduce the clearances, not increase them.

All the Quad units have different clearances for single and double wall connector pipe. Some of them I have noticed before are 1 or 2" more with the double wall.

it should be noted too that different stove manufacturers and models may be different in heir clearance charts, while some require more some may not and some may allow less, it varies. so always consult your manual and have a clear idea of the spec's for the particular unit and application you are installing.

I think it is that way because the outside of the double wall pipe is closer to the darn wall. And unless the double wall is air cooled it isn't going to be significantly cooler after the flue temp stabilizes. The only thing that cools either type of pipe is ambient room air.

Status
Not open for further replies.